Rotisserie Eye Round Roast On The Santa Maria (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I didn't bother doing a separate post on how the rotisserie was installed but suffice it to say, it took come creativity. I had to modify the stainless steel factory bracket on the motor and come up with a method to install it, fabricate and mount a bracket on the other side of the frame to support the spit, and lengthen the spit by 6". It came off a 30" grill and the Santa Maria is 36". Then I had to remove the stainless rollers from my other grill and attach them to the new bracket I fabricated.

Here it is installed after numerous hours of thought, work, and a few trips to the hardware store
021.jpg

After letting it run for a couple hours to make sure it wouldn't crater on me, I decided to do an Eye Round Roast. Several weeks ago the wife gave me a hall pass (and a credit card) to load up on meat at Costco. They had Prime Eye Round Roasts at a price I felt was reasonable so I go several of them. It is one of my favorite roasts so really didn't think I could go wrong.

Got the Mesquite lighting up
010.jpg

I learned a long time ago to put the meat on the spit before seasoning it. If not, you lose most of the spices when handling the meat. Got it on the spit, brushed with Worcestershire sauce, seasoned with SPOG, then onto the grill. Decided to toss a couple more logs on top just to get some additional smoke going
012.jpg

A little while into the cook. It's looking really good thus far
013.jpg

All done and on the cutting board. It is gorgeous.
016.jpg

All sliced up. Look at the juice coming out of this thing!! Notice the towel under the cutting board. Unless you want a big mess to clean up, this is a necessity.
017.jpg

Exactly as the wife asked for at one end and exactly as I wanted it on the fat end.
018.jpg

Dinner plated. Did a nice salad and some Cajun taters
019.jpg

Money shot after applying some homemade Au Jus, which I'd never made before but God it was good!!
023.jpg

The roast was juicy, tender, and extremely flavorful. I've developed quite an affinity for cooking with Mesquite wood, that's for sure. There's just something about cooking on a rotisserie that can't be beat. With the meat constantly turning, the juices stay inside because it's not sitting still for all that goodness to run out the bottom of the meat into a drip pan. The grill that the rotisserie came from is a 30" Dynasty that I bought well over 20 years ago. It has been an absolute work horse of a grill but is in a state of semi-retirement right now. In all the years I ran that grill (it was the only cooker I had) the rotisserie only got used a handful of times. I now have the built-in 42" Lynx Professional that has been in place for 5 1/2 years and I've never used the rotisserie. Something about this Santa Maria REALLY makes me want to start using it a bunch....possibly as my primary way of cooking. This has been a life changer I'm happy to say :-)

Diggin' the new grill,
Robert

Dang that roast looks good. Love using eye of round for thin sliced roast beef. Smoke to 125 rest and then run it through the meat slicer super thin. Beats anything you are going to find at a deli counter.

And BTW you are lucky I wish my wife would give me a hall pass and a credit card to go to Costco for a meat run!

Looks amazing! I have really been considering getting a rotisserie for either my Weber Kettle or Spirit II gasser.

"Dang that roast looks good. Love using eye of round for thin sliced roast beef. Smoke to 125 rest and then run it through the meat slicer super thin. Beats anything you are going to find at a deli counter.

And BTW you are lucky I wish my wife would give me a hall pass and a credit card to go to Costco for a meat run!"

Thank you!! I tend to agree about the Eye Round. They are pretty versatile. They can be cooked and eaten straight up as I did here, like you I also cook and and shave them into roast beef for a variety of sammies, and I use it to make dried beef. I'll typically do 2 roasts any time I'm cooking them to slice or making dried beef. The meat will stay good in the freezer for a long time so there's no need to go through the process twice, just do 2x as much when you do it :-)

And yes, I am a blessed man. Not an overly religious person but I give thanks every day for my wife. She's an amazing lady!!

Robert

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
"Looks amazing! I have really been considering getting a rotisserie for either my Weber Kettle or Spirit II gasser."

That's a VERY cost efficient way to go about getting it done. There is a company out there that makes a Santa Maria attachment for the Weber that you may want to take a look at. @SmokinAl has one that he got not too long ago that he absolutely raves about. Go to the Pork forum and look for a thread about rotisserie ribs. Don't remember if they were baby back or St. Louis but I'm pretty sure they were pork. Al posted that just a few days ago and it'll show you a lot.

Robert

"Absolutely beautiful !!!"

Thank you!! I was quite please being that I'd only done a couple of cooks on the new grill. The learning curve on this one was very short :emoji_laughing:

Robert

That's so sweet! I've got 2 rotisserie set ups. They do take things to a different level. Now I'm gonna try a copy this on the WSM in some form or fashion. Thanks so much for sharing. That plate looks so tasty.

When I built my smoker it was supposed to get a rotisserie set of shelves. This totally incredible post has me ready to put it together! Points for sure!!!!!!!

Nice looking set-up and some excellent looking eye round.

Point for sure
Chris

TXS, Fine looking roast and an awesome plate ! like

Thank you!! We sure did enjoy it :-)

That Looks Fantastic, Robert!!!
So Good!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Thank you Bear. coming from you sir, that's a very high compliment.

Knockin them home runs out of the park!
Like!

Your enthusiasm is very inspiring Chili!! Can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Man so juicy I almost licked my phone! Nice!

Now that's funny!!!

Nice looking set-up and some excellent looking eye round.

Point for sure
Chris

It took some work and a while bunch of thought but was well worth it. The rotisserie and grill work like a champ. Looking forward to a whole bunch of good food coming off this thing.

Robert

Last edited:
"Robert, Great job and points for making what you have work."

Appreciate it Lance. This one certainly tested my resourcefulness. Sunterra offers a rotisserie for the grill but the way I have the log lighters and fuel grate installed, I'd have had to do some serious modifications to theirs also. The fuel grates are 3" higher than where the wood / charcoal is supposed to be laid so their rotisserie would have been too close to the fire for it to be effective. My thought was that since I had to modify it regardless, it'd make more sense to use what I had versus buying another one. Although we live in a little bitty town, we're blessed to have a well-stocked Ace Hardware less than a mile from the house. That made life a lot easier :-)

Robert

"I bet that smelled fantastic spinning over that mesquite ."

It's interesting that you should say that. About 45 minutes into the cook I started getting text messages from the neighbors asking what I was cooking this go-round and what time was dinner. The really interesting part is that although we have neighbors, none are real close. We can't see any of them and they can't see us. That tells me that the aroma was wafting a long way :-)

Friendly air pollution??
Robert

"Phenomenal looking meal Robert! Great write up and pics as usual. I need to step my game up a notch. or Just come over for dinner :emoji_laughing:"

Zach, thank you for the kind words. You are more than welcome any time sir. Load up your lovely wife, pack an over-night bag complete with beach towel and swim suits, and head west. We are less than a half hour away but it is a whole different world out here. The only problem is that when guests come for the first time, they don't want to leave :emoji_wink:

Leaving the light on,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky