Rosemary in brisket rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mffl84

Original poster
Mar 16, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
This may be an odd question, but does anyone use rosemary in their brisket rubs? I love rosemary, and I am wanting to customize my brisket rub a bit, instead of it just being a standard rub recipe I found online or a bottled rub from the store. I just haven't seen much in regards to people using it in their brisket rubs, so I was wondering if there was something I was missing.

I would think that dried rosemary would be the way to go if it were going in a rub. I would probably grind it as opposed to leaving it as leaves. If using it in a rub would be no good, I have also thought placing several sprigs of fresh rosemary over the brisket when I wrap.

Just curious of people thoughts and if any of you had experience using rosemary when smoking your briskets.

Reactions: bigfurmn
I've never used it with brisket, but you can use whatever you like. Most try to mimic Texas style BBQ brisket, which has very little in the way of herbs. But rosemary is often used in chicken, lamb, even prime rib. Just keep it simple and don't use a lot of competing flavors. Also I would use a mild smoke wood.
Putting rosemary in with the wrap sounds like another good idea. If you have a good sized bush, you could even burn some of it with your smoke wood. I've used long rosemary stems as skewers before. Let me know how you like it.

Reactions: jcam222 and Mffl84
I haven't put rosemary in a rub for brisket but I have used a combination of fresh chopped rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley, with dried red pepper, garlic, salt and pepper as a topping over brisket. This is fantastic! We use the same mix in olive for dipping bread, but it is perfect for garnish, as it give the aroma and a fresh bright herb flavor.

Reactions: rowsdower
, as it give the aroma and a fresh bright herb flavor.
Yup . As much about the smell as the flavor .
20211212_175623.jpg
20210519_174858.jpg

I like using Memphis Dust rub On my pulled pork and it has dried rosemary in it. I also use rosemary on a lot of red meat, I think it would be good!

Reactions: eaglewing
I have done one with rub and fresh rosemary over the top. My wife loves rosemary and it was quite good on the brisket. No pictures were taken cuz we’ll seemed wrong to me at the time but it was good.

• Haha
Reactions: TH-n-PA
I use ground rosemary in my chicken brine, but haven't used it in my beef rub or the rub I use for chicken and pork. I was given rosemary wood from an old plant that I will try in an upcoming smoke.

I often layer rubs, and I like using a prime rib rub on occasion for that herbal flavor. Granted I have to go heavy since a brisket cook time is so much longer.

Reactions: bauchjw
Was not mentioned so I thought I would... I find it absolutely essential to use FRESH GROUND pepper on stuff, preferably a larger grind on brisket. The reason for the larger grind is so it retains even more of the freshness/oils and gives more aromatics like those of rosemary. Pre-ground typically lacks these. Also, the often quoted 1:1 ratio for the classic dalmatian rub used on brisket is WEIGHT not volume. It's way more pepper than you think. That said, we're team SPG on beef.

I like using Memphis Dust rub On my pulled pork and it has dried rosemary in it. I also use rosemary on a lot of red meat, I think it would be good!
Who's brand???

And Kinders Prime Rib rub... you can see the rosemary in there, even tho they label it as 'seasonings'.
Put that on your brisket and Vac Pac, for a night, the rosemary will hydrate.

Reactions: bauchjw
Who's brand???

And Kinders Prime Rib rub... you can see the rosemary in there, even tho they label it as 'seasonings'.
Put that on your brisket and Vac Pac, for a night, the rosemary will hydrate.
It’s a recipe I got it from amazingribs.com. No salt, which I like for my pork rubs. I guess it’s competition for here, but great info on that sight and I’ve bought a lot from Jeff.

Was not mentioned so I thought I would... I find it absolutely essential to use FRESH GROUND pepper on stuff, preferably a larger grind on brisket. The reason for the larger grind is so it retains even more of the freshness/oils and gives more aromatics like those of rosemary. Pre-ground typically lacks these. Also, the often quoted 1:1 ratio for the classic dalmatian rub used on brisket is WEIGHT not volume. It's way more pepper than you think. That said, we're team SPG on beef.
For meat I almost exclusively use a mortar & pestle for cracked pepper or to grind fine. I think it makes the pepper taste better than with the mill.

Reactions: Marknmd
For meat I almost exclusively use a mortar & pestle for cracked pepper or to grind fine. I think it makes the pepper taste better than with the mill.
Jed, I use to use the mortar & pestle for doing that.....now I use a small coffee grinder, you can spin the grinder to about any consistency you want in a split (pun intended) second or two.... I put the kinders PR rub in it to make it finer to get a "smoother" crust.

I also know of that other "no salt" rub. I did the no salt for a long time but have gone back the other way with a "small" amount in home made rubs and it tends to keep the smoother.... Then rather than adding any more salt before smoking, I add it after the meat has been cut or pulled..... IE learned this from GR. He says if you open up any kind of meat you have to hit it with a bit of salt or it tastes like crap........"what a shame"....LOL

Jed, I use to use the mortar & pestle for doing that.....now I use a small coffee grinder, you can spin the grinder to about any consistency you want in a split (pun intended) second or two.... I put the kinders PR rub in it to make it finer to get a "smoother" crust.
Love using my coffee grinder, but I never tried it on Kinders... The "blend" has big chunks of onion, why didn't I think of this before now!!! I'm losing my creative skills I guess. THNX

Reactions: civilsmoker
Love using my coffee grinder, but I never tried it on Kinders... The "blend" has big chunks of onion, why didn't I think of this before now!!! I'm losing my creative skills I guess. THNX
Yup keeps it from being at the bottom of the smoker vs my mouth where I want the flavor to be!

ahhhh then I think I know what it is... thnx
I have used that rub a few times. The author says rosemary is an important part of it with a flavor @in the background." I can't really detect it in the food but will go along with the idea. I think a little bit in a brisket rub wound be pretty subtle. He adds no salt because he says to salt the meat the night before and then add the rub the day of the cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky