Brisket dry brining

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
Wanted to get some thoughts - I want to try to dry brine a brisket. If I dry brine tho, I really should only use pepper before is smoke it correct? If i use a commercial rub, like a meat church product, or Hardcore Carnivore, I’m guessing it’s gonna get too salty? I really like the MC rubs but I’m guessing a rub with salt incorporates is a no go after dry brining?

Last edited:
Wanted to get some thoughts - I want to try to dry brine a brisket. If I dry brine tho, I really should only use pepper before is smoke it correct? If i use a commercial rub, like a meat church product, or Hardcore Carnivore, I’m guessing it’s gonna get too salty? I really like the MC rubs but I’m guessing a rub with salt incorporates is a no go after dry brining?
You want some salt with a brine of any kind, that is the major component of a brine and major reason for it :D

You can do this in an easy way. Just season your brisket however you normally do and that should do the trick for your dry brine.

Now, if you want more flavors but not with more salt, then you will want less salt and more of the other flavors. You won't be able to use a commercial rub with salt in that case ONLY because you cannot control more flavor but less salt. You are stuck with what you can shake on and have to stop when its too salty.

This would be a great opportunity for you to try something simple and amazingly flavorful like Salt, Pepper, Onion, and Garlic (SPOG, my favorite brisket seasoning). You can control each seasoning when done this way.
I go equal parts Garlic and Onion. A little higher than equal parts black Pepper (but I'm from TX we love black pepper on brisket), and I go a little lower than equal parts on Salt. This should give you a good base to start with should you want to just shake on each seasoning how you like.

Finally, I notice no difference in a 1 day dry brine vs just seasoning and tossing into the smoker. It's my understanding that Salt and such will only travel 1/4 inch every 24 hours, so that's about how deep your flavor penetration will happen all around your brisket.
Do with you will with that info, but maybe it helps you decide how to season, how much to season, and if you want to even fool with it :D

I hope this info helps :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky