• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Rollin A Fatty: My Version

lemans

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 29, 2013
I got it .. Stupid question. You take the plastic wrap off before placing on the smoker?

lemans

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 29, 2013
Thought it was used like a sausage casing
Told ya it was stupid!! Lol

smokeyjman

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 22, 2014
Why use the syran wrap If your gonna cook it? Do you need to fridge it before cooking so it stays together better?

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
Why use the syran wrap If your gonna cook it? Do you need to fridge it before cooking so it stays together better?
The purpose of the syran wrap is to compact  the finished fatty back into a chub. .  Makes rolling it into the bacon weave much easier.

Last edited:

smokeyjman

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 22, 2014
Its just used to shape it i see...

Does it make a differnce to fridge it what keep sit from unrolling while cooking?

silverwolf636

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined May 18, 2008
Its just used to shape it i see...

Does it make a differnce to fridge it what keep sit from unrolling while cooking?
When you wrap it in the plastic wrap it like that, it will help mend the sausage together. Also, if you wrap it and refrig it, it will stiffen it up some. Easier handling when putting it in the smoker.

They plastic wrap has to be taken off before you smoke it.

duresk

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 27, 2012
I know this an old post, but I have to comment. I like the inclusion of spinach. I have been trying to figure out how to get more vegetables in my diet. This is the perfect way. :)

pork dork

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 7, 2014
Holley Crap that looks good. And it's diet food. If you eat too much you'll die. 

I know what I'm making next.

Last edited:

wyobraska

Joined May 10, 2014
Hi Everyone!

I literally just registered on the site a minute ago, so I could post a Thank You to Silverwolf636. I smoked my first fattys today using the instructions I found in this tread and they turned out AMAZING.

I don't know how to post pics here or to award points, but I would if I could.

You can check out my fattys here:
I smoked these for about two hours at 250 degrees using a mix of hickory and apple wood. The last twenty minutes or so, I cranked up the temp to 350 so I could crisp up the bacon a bit. They turned out so amazing. Thanks for posting this tutorial, and all the responses. I learned quite a bit by reading everything here.

-Wyobraska

silverwolf636

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined May 18, 2008

Hi Everyone!

I literally just registered on the site a minute ago, so I could post a Thank You to Silverwolf636. I smoked my first fattys today using the instructions I found in this tread and they turned out AMAZING.

I don't know how to post pics here or to award points, but I would if I could.

You can check out my fattys here:
I smoked these for about two hours at 250 degrees using a mix of hickory and apple wood. The last twenty minutes or so, I cranked up the temp to 350 so I could crisp up the bacon a bit. They turned out so amazing. Thanks for posting this tutorial, and all the responses. I learned quite a bit by reading everything here.

-Wyobraska
Them look great Wyobraska.  Awesome. Glad to help.  I've also smoked pizza meat loafs. I mixed everything up like you would a meatloaf only I used italian/pizza ingredients.  

robbq

Smoke Blower
Joined May 17, 2014
It's time for me to smoke a Fattie. And I thank you for the time saving and detailed way of processing. Looks great!

Now off I go!

cavemanb

Joined Jun 18, 2014
Just an odd question, AS good as it looks and tastes with the bacon weave wrap.... Is it needed ???    without trying it yet, could you just roll one or would it fall apart in the smoker...

duresk

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 27, 2012
I haven't smoked a fatty yet, so I can't say if the bacon helps any. I have smoked a few pork loins that I have bacon wrapped. It definitely helps the pork loin stay more moist if you bacon wrap it. The ones I don't bacon wrap are still good, the ones I do wrap are just better.

hillbillyrkstr

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2013
I've only rolled and smoked a few fatties and both had bacon wrapped around them. From just rolling them and having them try to fall apart id say the bacon definitely helps hold them together.

But rolling them is really the hard part. If you rolled it and got it in the smoker the only other challenge you'd have is taking it off. With that said I believe you could do one without bacon but why??? It's bacon! I said It's bacon!! And one more time for those who need to pick up their glasses: IT'S BACON!!!

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Just an odd question, AS good as it looks and tastes with the bacon weave wrap.... Is it needed ???    without trying it yet, could you just roll one or would it fall apart in the smoker...
You sure can we do them all the time. Once roles in the Saran Wrap, our at our house the parchment paper. Stick in the freezer for 15-20 minutes then place on the grill. Helps it stay all together!

dakotadave

Joined Jul 1, 2014
Definitely going to have to try one of these! Tho in my younger days, rolling and smoking a fattie meant something entirely different.....

bubba watson

Fire Starter
Joined May 26, 2014
Awesome find. I have been checking out fattie threads and trying to decide if I was suppose to roll it up like a sushi roll. This is great info. Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.