Rollin A Fatty: My Version

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Why use the syran wrap If your gonna cook it? Do you need to fridge it before cooking so it stays together better?

Its just used to shape it i see...

Does it make a differnce to fridge it what keep sit from unrolling while cooking?

Its just used to shape it i see...

Does it make a differnce to fridge it what keep sit from unrolling while cooking?
When you wrap it in the plastic wrap it like that, it will help mend the sausage together. Also, if you wrap it and refrig it, it will stiffen it up some. Easier handling when putting it in the smoker.

They plastic wrap has to be taken off before you smoke it.

I know this an old post, but I have to comment. I like the inclusion of spinach. I have been trying to figure out how to get more vegetables in my diet. This is the perfect way. :)

Reactions: silverwolf636
Holley Crap that looks good. And it's diet food. If you eat too much you'll die. 

kewl.gif
I know what I'm making next.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

I literally just registered on the site a minute ago, so I could post a Thank You to Silverwolf636. I smoked my first fattys today using the instructions I found in this tread and they turned out AMAZING.

I don't know how to post pics here or to award points, but I would if I could.

You can check out my fattys here:

I smoked these for about two hours at 250 degrees using a mix of hickory and apple wood. The last twenty minutes or so, I cranked up the temp to 350 so I could crisp up the bacon a bit. They turned out so amazing. Thanks for posting this tutorial, and all the responses. I learned quite a bit by reading everything here.

-Wyobraska

Hi Everyone!

I literally just registered on the site a minute ago, so I could post a Thank You to Silverwolf636. I smoked my first fattys today using the instructions I found in this tread and they turned out AMAZING.

I don't know how to post pics here or to award points, but I would if I could.

You can check out my fattys here:

I smoked these for about two hours at 250 degrees using a mix of hickory and apple wood. The last twenty minutes or so, I cranked up the temp to 350 so I could crisp up the bacon a bit. They turned out so amazing. Thanks for posting this tutorial, and all the responses. I learned quite a bit by reading everything here.

-Wyobraska

Them look great Wyobraska.  Awesome. Glad to help.  I've also smoked pizza meat loafs. I mixed everything up like you would a meatloaf only I used italian/pizza ingredients.  

Just an odd question, AS good as it looks and tastes with the bacon weave wrap.... Is it needed ???    without trying it yet, could you just roll one or would it fall apart in the smoker...

I haven't smoked a fatty yet, so I can't say if the bacon helps any. I have smoked a few pork loins that I have bacon wrapped. It definitely helps the pork loin stay more moist if you bacon wrap it. The ones I don't bacon wrap are still good, the ones I do wrap are just better.

Reactions: cavemanb
I've only rolled and smoked a few fatties and both had bacon wrapped around them. From just rolling them and having them try to fall apart id say the bacon definitely helps hold them together.

But rolling them is really the hard part. If you rolled it and got it in the smoker the only other challenge you'd have is taking it off. With that said I believe you could do one without bacon but why??? It's bacon! I said It's bacon!! And one more time for those who need to pick up their glasses: IT'S BACON!!!

Just an odd question, AS good as it looks and tastes with the bacon weave wrap.... Is it needed ???    without trying it yet, could you just roll one or would it fall apart in the smoker...

You sure can we do them all the time. Once roles in the Saran Wrap, our at our house the parchment paper. Stick in the freezer for 15-20 minutes then place on the grill. Helps it stay all together!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky