Rollin A Fatty: My Version

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What an AWESOME Tutorial!! We made our first this weekend and following these directions made it so easy.  They turned out wonderful & Everyone raved!!

The 1st one (L_R) was spinach & Provolone, middle was jalepenos, pepperjack cheese, sweet peppers, onions & mushrooms, and the 3rd one was Asparagus, mushrooms, mozzarella, sweet peppers and sauteed onions.
yahoo.gif

View media item 218565
View media item 218566
View media item 218567

I am so glad this popped up today. I enjoyed the tutorial, this will make it a much better result than I could do without looking here. Thanks for the great pictures.

I Have never heard of a fattie...awesome...i wanna try one but I don't know where to get a sausage chub. Can anyone tell me where I can? I live in the kc area.
Sausage that comes in a 1 pound plastic sleeve is called chub. An alternative would be to buy a pound of store made sausage and form it into a log shape that's roughly 6-7 inches long and go from there.

I thought about that..or maybe using ground pork? Sadly,I believe ive been bitten by the UDS bug..ive decided to build me one and when i get stuck on something,im done for. Ive already sourced my drum(s) (i might build a dbl uds cart) so this will have to wait.

Thanks for the tutorial.  I ventured into the world of fatties today and used your method.  It worked out great.  I don't know how I've gone this long without cooking or even knowing what a fatty was.  This site is great!

I followed your method and made 2 fatties that came out perfect!  The first had au gratin potatoes inside and the second was a reuben fatty both made with ground beef and bacon!  Thanks for the method I am going to get creative!

So many choices!!   My smoker is coming tomorrow and I WAS going to do chicken first but now I am going to do a couple of fatties.  I can get all the goodies today and be ready when the grill gets here.  I can't wait!!  Thank you.

Tutorial Great. Photography Great. Instructions clear concise and to the point.  Now time for me to get on the wagon and make some. Thank you 

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I've been looking for a tutorial. Thanks for posting it.

Since this is my first, about how long should this take at 200-225? What should the internal temp be when done? Preferred wood? 

Last one, are all cheeses okay to use or do some tend to melt out more than others?

Thanks.

Wow!

I just LOVE seeing these fatty creations and this one looks incredible, especially in the cut open spiral showing photo! Fantastic job!

It inspires me and makes me excited to conjure up my first one sometime soon. That looked terrific! Cheers! - Leah

I've been looking for a tutorial. Thanks for posting it.

Since this is my first, about how long should this take at 200-225? What should the internal temp be when done? Preferred wood? 

Last one, are all cheeses okay to use or do some tend to melt out more than others?

Thanks.
At those temps plan a a couple hours tops. Take them to an IT of 145º-150º With that low of a temp your bacon may not get crisy. If that is the case a few minutes each side under the broiler or on a hot grill will take care of that. Softer cheeses will tend to melt out more than others. For beef fatties I prefer a mix of cherry and pecan. For pork I prefer apple, peach or alder.

These look awesome.  I had never heard of a fatty before coming here.  This is certainly on my list of things to do.  I think the entire family will like these.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky