Roll Call

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey all!!

New here! Greetings from London UK! I gave an introduction on the Roll Call section of the forum, and Smokin Monkey directed me here! Great to see so many in the UK on here with a passion for BBQ! 

We are 26 year old twin brothers who have a huge passion for American style BBQ. We are on a huge journey to achieve PITMASTER STATUS!

We love American BBQ culture and everything about it! We also love cured meats / charcuterie, although have never attempted making our own salamis etc (would love to in the future).

I would say we are both pretty new/intermediate at smoking meats, having taken the hobby seriously for about 8 months now. We still feel like we have A LOT to learn! 

We decided to join this forum and learn as much as possible.

Unfortunately, the smoker we use at the moment is a pretty cheap drum BBQ, we keep the coals and wood on one side and the meat on the other. As you can imagine, it's very inconsistent. But we keep on trying and make best with what we have! We really hope to invest in an off-set smoker when we can.

We so far have smoked:

• Beef Ribs
  • Beef Brisket
  • Baby Back Ribs
  • Ox Tails
  • Proscuitto Wrapped Camembert Cheese
  • Chicken
Here are some of our photos:

Bologna:

Beech Smoked Beef Brisket:

Smoked Ox Tails:

Beef Rib:

Baby Back Pork Ribs:

Smoked Sausages (for snacking with beer!!)

Pleasure to meet all of you, loving this forum already and can't wait to check out what everyone has to offer!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome along,pretty new on here myself lots to learn!..Really professional looking photos!..jo

Some good looking scran there... welcome

I would warn you that this site is addictive... so many good things to eat, and so much stuff to build

I made atomic buffallo turds for the first time the other day ... except that i couldnt get any big jalepenos so i use sweet peppers, and they were more like non atomic... so NABTs :D

and my friends  look at me very strangely when i tell them i'm rolling a fatty - opinion seems split on whether its recreation drug abuse i'm talking about, or mugging overweight people  :D

hi all

I'm Andy and have recently joined after taking the plunge and bought a new BBQ/smoker when our old barrel type died a rusty death.

im 46 married with a young son, varied career so far 10 years military, 19 years NHS and about to commence a new role in local law enforcement  in about 2 weeks time.

I currently have a new char griller super pro sat in the back patio with the optional side fire box attached but it has yet to be used or seasoned until I can get a break in my work schedule to do it properly and add the important chimney mods before I light it up.

I'm interested in making my own bacon as well as the massive variety of long slow smoked/cooked meats I have been reading about.

that's it for now, I'm sure I will be thinking up plenty of questions very soon

Andy 

thank you mate ill take a very close look at that info.

cant wait to try a "proper" piece of bacon instead of the water and chemical injected rubbish that passes for food these days

ooh and I get to leave the rind on, the BEST bit by far

thank you wade

that was a fantastic read and I cant wait for payday to get experimenting. I have just hot smoked some chicken with Applewood and a rub from here it is divine.

some tweaks need to be made to the smoker before I also try again need to be made.

all in all I'm very happy :)

Good Afternoon all!

I am Chris and I'm from Staffordshire, I live in a house with no mains gas so I am use to controlling real fires including having a Rayburn that takes solid fuel to cook on!  I wanted to get into smoking a year ago so I got myself an Aldi offset smoker BBQ only to find this was a mistake as getting up to temperature and maintaining temp is near impossible due to leakage. 

So now my adventure starts again and I am looking to get something reasonably priced to start on (would prefer it to be charcoal based) although I'm guessing for my budget that would be the only place to start!  

In the future my journey will take me to a more permanent garden solution however I know I will be moving house at least twice over the next few years then for now I want something a bit more flexible!

Texan living in Scotland(Aberdeenshire) for over 35 years and have been the goto BBQ dude by friends and family and work colleagues. Have done many different events from small friends & family events to larger company does! Have done the gammet - whole gog, ribs - beef & pork, steak of course(although have moved to a cast iron for the amazing grass fed beef here in Scotland - both Black Angus & Highland Cues (doric for cows - wife is a Scottish Lassie / Quine) - the highland breed is an amazing taste sensation if you ever get a chance to try it. Done fish, seafood, game, turkey, chicken(we hav great availabilty of free range poultry, and duck!

Currently have a "homemade" grill / BBQ / smoker, 12' long made from 32" casing with a smoke box for large events, A weber for a quick grill and an original Bradley 4 rack smoker with add on PID that i use for most of the smoking I do now! The only hassle over here is getting easy availability of different wood types especially mesquite!

Anyway doing smoked meatloaf this weekend!

Hi all, just joined so thought I would introduce myself.

I'm Phill and I'm living in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs.

I'm fresh meat (pun intended) when it comes to smoking and looking to get my first smoker in the next few days/weeks. Been researching for a while but it's a bit of a minefield - I think I have decided on a vertical smoker as opposed to offset as I've read they are simpler for a novice to maintain temps etc. Been looking at the ProQ stuff and almost set on one of them but I have been wondering if the Callow is worth a punt considering how cheap it is and Wade's (mostly) positive review and would give me more funds with the difference to splurge on a good wireless thermometer and other accessories.

This forum has already proved very useful with my research so thanks everyone for that!

Hi Phil , Welcome to our "Family" and "Addiction"

Plenty of good folk on here, ask any questions you can think of, and you will get your answers.

The UK Smokers Group Is where UK members can ask and share information that is unique to smoking and curing in the UK and does not obviously fit into any of the main forum categories.

Lots of members use vertical smokers, so plenty of advice available here.

We are getting close to our annual UK Smokes weekend, where members attend and cooked over the weekend. The dates are 21st - 23rd July 2017. Please use the link below to view the website.

http://www.uk-smf.co.uk

From what Wade has informed me Callow might be attending the event.
Smokin Monkey [emoji]133660013031[/emoji]

Hello all

Smokin Monkey pointed me in the direction of this UK roll call. So thought i'd say hello.

Looking to get an 'entry level' offset smoker within a week or two and get started.

Based in Southend, Essex

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky