Roast chicken on my Woodwind

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woodwindricky

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 24, 2019
Montgomery, Texas
My woodwind came with a turkey cannon and it works great. I've used wine,beer, and apple juice but what works for me is putting a teaspoon of minced garlic and chicken broth down the tube.
IMG_1027.JPG

I picked up a 6.5lb bird, rubbed soften butter and applied a sweet rub
IMG_1028.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG

While the rub sits, I turned the grill on to 250 to preheat. Most of the time I use mesquite pellets but today I used apple. Time to put the bird on the cannon and tie back the wings
IMG_1031.JPG

With the temp at 250 time for the bird to go on the pit, insert temp probe and turn it down to Hi-smoke for 1hr. After 1hr of smoke, I crank up the temp to 350 and pull off at a IT of 165
IMG_1035.JPG

My two sides are fresh steamed spinach and roasted ears of corn on the sear box
IMG_1039.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG

Chicken done and resting, corn getting happy with the butter
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1038.JPG

The money shot. I forgot to mention that after I put the bird on the cannon I take a lemon wedge and stuff it down the neck cavity to help keep the broth steam inside. The breast came out delicious and very moist
IMG_1042.JPG

My woodwind came with a turkey cannon and it works great. I've used wine,beer, and apple juice but what works for me is putting a teaspoon of minced garlic and chicken broth down the tube.
View attachment 404201
I picked up a 6.5lb bird, rubbed soften butter and applied a sweet rub
View attachment 404202View attachment 404203
While the rub sits, I turned the grill on to 250 to preheat. Most of the time I use mesquite pellets but today I used apple. Time to put the bird on the cannon and tie back the wings
View attachment 404206
With the temp at 250 time for the bird to go on the pit, insert temp probe and turn it down to Hi-smoke for 1hr. After 1hr of smoke, I crank up the temp to 350 and pull off at a IT of 165View attachment 404207
My two sides are fresh steamed spinach and roasted ears of corn on the sear boxView attachment 404208 View attachment 404209
Chicken done and resting, corn getting happy with the butter
View attachment 404210 View attachment 404211
The money shot. I forgot to mention that after I put the bird on the cannon I take a lemon wedge and stuff it down the neck cavity to help keep the broth steam inside. The breast came out delicious and very moist
View attachment 404213

It was very tasty and moist.

Cici

Good looking stuff Ricky!! Next time you and Connie come to visit I'll invite you to make one of those in advance and we can just heat it up after you get here. I love a good chicken but sadly Tracy can't eat it....that won't stop me from chowing down though :emoji_wink:

Cheering on my brother for a great job!!
Robert

Reactions: woodwindricky
Thanks everyone for your nice comments, Robert my friend all you have to do is ask and I'll deliver. We can roast you a chicken or I'll get another fresh turkey and cook it on your Santa Marie rotisserie your choice :emoji_wink:

Ricky...been thinking about this and have a couple of suggestions.

1) Treat the chicken like you did that amazing turkey you cooked at the Cen Tex event. Brine it and inject with the Turkey Gold marinade. The meats are very similar and chicken will take on the same flavors you got in the turkey.

2) Get another turkey cannon if you can and do two birds at once. It takes just as long to cook two as it takes to cook one. You'll have some fantastic meat to vac seal and freeze for future meals.

3) Save the carcass!! Either freeze them (takes up a lot of space in the freezer though) or boil them down within a few days of cooking the bird. Get all the goodies off the bones and save the stock. I bet Connie could make some amazing soups, stews, or gumbo with it.

It's what I'd do if I could cook chicken :-)
Robert

Now that's funny, I was telling Connie next time I smoke a chicken I'm doing it like the turkey. lol Good idea about the second turkey cannon, doing two birds on one burn. One to keep and one to share....hhmmm wonder who I could share it with (Robert) :emoji_wink:

That’s an awesome looking plate Ricky, that turkey cannon looks pretty cool, never seen one like that. I bet it keeps that sucker on there good!

Like!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky