Roast Beef for 300 people, i need some advice, please help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iluvribs

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
columbus ohio
My nephew is getting married and was going to have food catered to the reception, however he called me and asked if i would cook enough roast beef for 300 people, first of all i look at this as an honor to do this and a smoking challenge if you will, but i never smoked roast beef before so i searched on this site and it doesnt seem to big of a deal. I am going to do a few before then to get the feel for it, i have 2 wsm's for this and for the big cook i have a big hog roater i used to cook 12 pork shoulders for 200 several times  [thanks by the way] so my question is how many pounds of beef do i need and what would be the best cut for this much, i was thinking 1/2 pound per person but i really dont know i also seen to cook at 235 for 4 hrs. till beef reaches 140.....marinade with worchester sauce and montreal seasoning over nite....just some ideas....the amount of beef is what i really need, thanks for your response, your recipes and ideas have always turned out excellent and i know thats why he asked me. His wedding is in April.

Last edited:
I would say 1/2 lb per person would be good. Top round, bottom round, sirloin tip, & tri-tip are all good cuts for thin sliced roast beef. Any way you look at it it's going to be costly. 150 lbs. at $4 a pound is a big chunk of change. There are several catering guys on here who will be along to give you the exact amount you need & which cut to get. Good luck!

The meat amounts are going to depend on several things

1 Are you doing a plate or a sandwich

2 What sides are being served

3 How is this going to be served. If it is plated you can manage how much you serve, if it is served buffett style add 25% for waste - people always take way more than they can eat. 

4 Are you doing any chicken or fish for folks that don't eat meat?

Once you answer these we can start narrowing things down for you    

I would look into 3-4 (maybe 5) steamship roasts AKA steamship rounds, which is the entire round with fat cap....they always please a crowd.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for some good direction, however ...they changed their mind. I gues they are going to do something else by themselves, which is fine by me. After doing some searching i want to try a tri tip roast here in a week or two, thanks again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky