Rib roast bones/back ribs worth it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
GFS has a good deal and a full rib roast, bones and all. $5.17lb. We prefer boneless regardless of the benefits. Plan is to cut her down to portions and de-bone. What is it like to smoke these bones? IIRC the preferred beef rib is the short rib and not these. Worried these will a bit chewy or something the girls won't like. Any personal opinions? Thanks in advance!

Here's what I like to do--They're Awesome:
Smoked Beef Prime Rib Dinos (With Extra Meat)

IMG_0034.jpg

Bear

Last edited:
We often make beef & barley soup from the rib bones of our holiday prime rib.

Ingredients
  • 4 or 5 Bone beef rib roast
  • 4-8 oz. Leftover prime rib or other beef
  • 1.5 Quarts water
  • 1.5 Quarts beef broth
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 4 Cups chopped carrots
  • 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1 Tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp dried parsley
  • 4 Cups Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 Can green beans (or 1.5 cups chopped fresh green beans)
  • 5 cloves garlic, chopped
  • Red pepper flakes (optional to taste)
  • 3/4 Cup pearl barley
Instructions
  1. Put all ingredients except barley into a large pot
  2. Bring to a boil
  3. Cover, reduce heat and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes
  4. Add barley and cook for another 30 minutes or until barley is tender
  5. Remove bones and meat from pot and let cool enough to handle
  6. Remove meat from bones and chop all meat into bite size pieces
  7. Return meat to pot

I've been doing Meathead's roast recipe lately and always cook the bones separately. I cut the bones off and the lip of fat and tie the roast round. I mix the fat into lean meat for sausages/burgers and cut the bones into 2-3 bone sections and put them in the smoker 4 hours before the roast. They are definitely chewy if you don't cook them low and slow for a while.

I buy beef back ribs and smoke them all the time. i get them because they are cheap ($5-7 for two racks) and i figured out how to make them into a nice light meal. My wife doesn't care for them but admits i do get them tender. What i like to do is pull the membrane off the back and season with Chicago or Montreal steak seasoning (use your favorite beef or steak seasoning) and i throw them on the smoker for a few hours (3-4 on my smoker) until they are done. (I don't temp anymore i just go by feel). No sauce required (steak sauce if ya really want) and it taste like steak on a stick.

on the smoker

almost done

resting

Like i said they are a cheap cut of meat but not bad. if you have them extra they don't require a lot of attention and makes a nice snack/lunch..etc.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky