• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Rib redemption!

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smkryng

Smoking Fanatic
Oct 14, 2017
Been smoking with a MES for some time with awesome results but my wife recently bought me a Pit Boss Austin XL. I did two shoulders and a rack of ribs and they definitely were not up to snuff. The shoulders were okay but not as tender as usual and the ribs were the toughest I’ve ever made. I made a few minor adjustments to my technique and the next rack was awesome! Used Rendezvous dry rub and cooked at 225 no wrap on classic blend pellets and also ran a smoke tube. Probed tender at 197.
A809CF32-2CD3-4DFE-AED3-07DB31316405.jpeg

Sauced with equal parts Sweet Baby Ray’s, Stubbs original, and peach preserves. Definitely better than the last cook.
975C338C-6A30-4447-858F-368CAF1F645B.jpeg

865A8EF4-E828-4113-BDE4-21568332807C.jpeg

Last edited:

Blues1

Smoking Fanatic
Feb 10, 2020
Looks really good! What do you think was the difference between this one and the first?...for us newbies

Smkryng

Smoking Fanatic
Oct 14, 2017
Looks really good! What do you think was the difference between this one and the first?...for us newbies
For one thing, there is what pit boss refers to a heat deflector around the burn pot. With that in place the right side of the pit was a lot hotter where I did the ribs. On my MES I cooked at 275, the Austin temp dial goes from 250 to 300 so I figured I was good to go. I bought an inkbird 6 probe thermometer and placed a probe grate level left, right, and center. Turns out when the pit boss controller reads 160 the grate temp is actually 200, and at 225 it averages about 260 so I suspect at the 300 setting I was probably cooking around 360 if you take into account the temp swings of the pit. Not knowing this before I got the thermometer, I ended up blasting the first rack of ribs with to much heat. Cooked them in about an hour instead of the 5 or 6 that I planned on. So I guess the difference for me was a good thermometer so I know exactly what’s happening grate level.

Smkryng

Smoking Fanatic
Oct 14, 2017
Oh and probably the most important, I cooked to a temp of 195 and then started probing for tenderness and then sauced when they were probe tender.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Those ribs look absolutely fantastic!
Very nicely done!
Al

Smkryng

Smoking Fanatic
Oct 14, 2017
Those ribs look absolutely fantastic!
Very nicely done!
Al
Thanks a lot! They were definitely the best I’ve done on the pit boss yet. I suspect all my cooks will improve since I bought a multi probe inkbird and can see what the actual grate temps are. I’ve learned so much abou my pit in my last two cooks that I may have never figured out without it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
Clicky