Rib Difference???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jjbodean1970

Original poster
May 31, 2008
Huntsville, AL
no, not the difference between baby backs and st louis style or spares, but the difference in cooking techniques for competition vs at home. i know that competition isnt supposed to be fall off the bone like many of us prefer to eat at home off our own smokers. my question is why the difference and how does one prepare competition ribs differently to get the meat to stay on the bone more?

thanks in advance...
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

The easy answer is not to cook them as long or cook them at a high temp. Keep mine at about 220, use the 3-2-1 method and pray that everything works out the way I want it too. Every cut of meat is a little different, as is the humidity, outside temp., etc: So many factors.......

Experience. Try cooking them to have a bit of "tug" left to them. I like mine to stay on the bone myself. But bite in and it "flakes" away.

It's the Golden Rule....He who has the gold, makes the rules.

In competition, my friends and family don't write the checks so their opinion ain't exactly what counts.

Having said that. I really don't try to make my ribs all too much different at home as in the competition. I try to make them tender. IMHO, fallng off the bone is too tender and means it's overcooked.

I always give it my best at home and in competition and my little brain can't handle trying to remember how to cook ribs two different ways. :-)

By no means am I a comp bbqr. But have to agree with falling off the bone is over done. Personally I prefer a little resistance but still comes away from the bone. The 3-2-1 is a great way to make ribs and all lot of peeps prefer that method. In fact I shared that with a good friend of mine a few weeks ago. He's been a happy camper since. Give me a spray bottle in one hand and a cold beer in the other and life is good
biggrin.gif

i also like a little chew to my ribs.seem they have better texture if not quite cooked to the point of falling off. my .02 thks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky