RF Build In Slow Motion (Sinks are done!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Bob! Hopefully we can get the racks built next weekend and then some finishing work like counterweights, paint, handles, latches, etc. We went to the scrapyard yesterday looking for some channel and struck out. Trailer work will probably begin in a couple weeks.

thumb1.gif
 still lookn good

looking good joel................. that is a freekin monster..................
icon14.gif

Since a few people on another board that I frequent seem to think I am full of crap about what we are paying for scrap steel for our build, here is this week's update on the 500 gal RF smoker.
wink.gif

Solaryellow, mornin'.....They are jealous....don't worry about what "those" folks think.......Great build and well thought out....including purchasing materials.

Dave

Since a few people on another board that I frequent seem to think I am full of crap about what we are paying for scrap steel for our build, here is this week's update on the 500 gal RF smoker.
wink.gif

Solaryellow, mornin'.....They are jealous....don't worry about what "those" folks think.......Great build and well thought out....including purchasing materials.

Dave
I wasn't worried about what they thought. I just wanted to show folks there are good deals out there if you kick over enough rocks.

Thanks for the compliment Dave!

Excellent progress since I last checked. That thing is looking awesome. When you finally do a big smoke I will look to the northeast for smoke signals.

Hopefully we will be able to cook on it in a couple weeks. I can shoot you an invite when we are certain if you want to come up for some free food.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the heads up Joe. I was starting to feel cocky.
biggrin.gif

I had a pretty sobering moment today that I think you can relate to. We were at DH Griffin's scrapyard in Greensboro and they had this giant mound of building materials interlaced with Kobalt tools roped off by caution tape. Turns out that the Sanford Lowes that got leveled by a tornado two weeks ago had been scraped up and dropped off at the scrapyard. DH Griffin employees were combing through it and separating merchandise from the rubble. Every tool you could think of was in that pile. It was a strange feeling to see that debris and to match it up to the images in my head that were shown in the news a couple weeks ago.

Regardless, we are doing the real welding next weekend. Right now everything is just tacked into place. We broke a couple of the welds today fitting the door straps under our homemade hinges. Those welds will become permanent next Saturday. You are more than welcome to come out if you have nothing going on.

Nice build you've got going!

I noticed your comment about the tools from Lowe's.  I live in Sanford but was lucky and didn't receive any damage from the storms.  About 2 miles from my house was a different story!

There were so many other commercial buildings that were hit equally hard but they didn't show them on the news...don't know why??  Everything was moved out from the Lowe's so quick.  It was all just sold to the highest bidder for scrap.  I didn't know where it wound up, but sounds like your junkyard got it.  They started building over from scratch and it'll be ready to open by the end of this month.

Back to your build, I haven't reached the end of the thread yet, but looks like you put it on the fast track too!  You said this was going to be a slow build.

I'm wanting to build one myself, and had a question about your hinges.  Just curious why you went with this design over the ones I see a lot just using a piece of pipe welded on with a piece of 90* bent rod?  I would think the last method would be a lot easier and just wondered why you chose your method.  It's looking good...now I need to finish the thread!

Bobby

Nice build you've got going!

I noticed your comment about the tools from Lowe's.  I live in Sanford but was lucky and didn't receive any damage from the storms.  About 2 miles from my house was a different story!

There were so many other commercial buildings that were hit equally hard but they didn't show them on the news...don't know why??  Everything was moved out from the Lowe's so quick.  It was all just sold to the highest bidder for scrap.  I didn't know where it wound up, but sounds like your junkyard got it.  They started building over from scratch and it'll be ready to open by the end of this month.

Back to your build, I haven't reached the end of the thread yet, but looks like you put it on the fast track too!  You said this was going to be a slow build.

I'm wanting to build one myself, and had a question about your hinges.  Just curious why you went with this design over the ones I see a lot just using a piece of pipe welded on with a piece of 90* bent rod?  I would think the last method would be a lot easier and just wondered why you chose your method.  It's looking good...now I need to finish the thread!

Bobby
It isn't moving fast enough for me.
smile.gif

The hinges are really a matter of practicality. We used the materials we had on hand rather than purchasing new as part of our goal with this build is to build it as inexpensively as possible on a shoestring budget. This weekend is the first time we will be working with new materials instead of scrap. I wish we could have found scrap since it is much much cheaper.

Some more progress today. We built the racks for the warming box and got started on the ones in the smoke chamber. Dennis and I are gonna put some more work into it tomorrow morning.

baab5347_0806111037.jpg

7d572c78_0806111058.jpg

f8e90d43_0806111315.jpg

f5e77128_0806111319.jpg

icon_eek.gif

biggrin.gif

sausage.gif

welder.gif

drool.gif

th_Slab_of_meat.gif
    Looks great Joel..... Keep it comming. cant wait to see it finished

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky