RF Build In Slow Motion (Sinks are done!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks Great already, Solar!

Don't seem that slow motion to me!

I'll get the big box of popcorn for this one!

110.gif

Bear

Yeah, the tank was too thick to cut with the plasma cutter we have access to. However, it wasn't too bad with cut off wheels. 

Made some more progress today. We started off the day by going to the scrapyard and got lucky with 3 nice sized sheets of 1/4" plate. 2 of them were 4'x5' and the third was 5' x 5' 6". We also found some 8" pipe so we picked up 5' of that. Total price was $108 including tax. So we are now up to $210 out of pocket for this build.

Our haul:

954b0be1_0430111349.jpg

7b24aaa2_0430111357.jpg

And then on to the real work:

1525d514_0430111540.jpg

e9a0d473_0430111706.jpg

b1806a98_0430111812.jpg

We ended up welding some temporary handles on. We had to adjust one of the hinges and deepen some of the notches in the hinges. there was some slight warping of the doors that we need to fix. Next weekend we should be starting firebox construction.

Thats an awesome find, way better scrap and way better prices then I ever find.

Looking good.

Great prices on the steel. I can't get any good deals around here for scrap.

Hey Joel.... Your build is all wrong....Your welds are not going to hold and all the metal you have been getting from your area has been contaminated by a rare parasite...... Fortunately , being the nice guy I am I can relieve you of the contaminated unit as is.............. let me know when I can come and pick it up........
biggrin.gif

Hey Joel.... Your build is all wrong....Your welds are not going to hold and all the metal you have been getting from your area has been contaminated by a rare parasite...... Fortunately , being the nice guy I am I can relieve you of the contaminated unit as is.............. let me know when I can come and pick it up........
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the heads up Joe. I was starting to feel cocky.
biggrin.gif

I had a pretty sobering moment today that I think you can relate to. We were at DH Griffin's scrapyard in Greensboro and they had this giant mound of building materials interlaced with Kobalt tools roped off by caution tape. Turns out that the Sanford Lowes that got leveled by a tornado two weeks ago had been scraped up and dropped off at the scrapyard. DH Griffin employees were combing through it and separating merchandise from the rubble. Every tool you could think of was in that pile. It was a strange feeling to see that debris and to match it up to the images in my head that were shown in the news a couple weeks ago.

Regardless, we are doing the real welding next weekend. Right now everything is just tacked into place. We broke a couple of the welds today fitting the door straps under our homemade hinges. Those welds will become permanent next Saturday. You are more than welcome to come out if you have nothing going on.

Originally Posted by boykjo

Now that right there is funny!!!!!  

No pics from this weekend but we got a few things done today. Dennis got the end notched out for the firebox. Today we went to DH Griffin and picked up some 2.5" angle iron, some square tubing and some pipe for our drains. Gary welded up the hinges so they are now permanent and also hit some of the door straps. Jesse and Gary got some of the cuts done for the firebox and we all worked on the doors some to fix some small gaps we have. Next weekend will be finishing the cuts for the firebox and starting to weld it up.

The additional metal we picked up today has added another $22 to the build.

Last edited:
You know what>>>>> 22 dollars>>>> ok man U-Suck.

I wish my scrap yard was that cheep. 

You know what>>>>> 22 dollars>>>> ok man U-Suck.

I wish my scrap yard was that cheep. 

beercheer.gif

Although to be fair the angle iron is going to take some work to strip the paint off. We got a 10' section of 1/4" thick 2.5" angle iron, 5' of 3" diameter pipe, and the square tube is 1/4" as well. I really don't know what we will use it for but there were several 8' sections and I knew it would be gone by next weekend if we didn't grab at least some of it.

Joel, this isn't the greatest price but I will post the link so that you can see what it is. These are awesome for paint removal, the best I have ever tried. They also work fantastic for cleaning up and blending weld beads. Careful if you buy online that you get the ones for the angle grinders, they have some for a drill that do not have the rated RPM for the angle grinder.

http://www3.shopping.com/Norton-Nor...in-Non-Woven-Wheel-with-5-8-in-11mm-Hole/info

This one has a 5/8" hole, but the ones I have are the ones with a threaded hub, which screw right onto the grinder.

Joel, this isn't the greatest price but I will post the link so that you can see what it is. These are awesome for paint removal, the best I have ever tried. They also work fantastic for cleaning up and blending weld beads. Careful if you buy online that you get the ones for the angle grinders, they have some for a drill that do not have the rated RPM for the angle grinder.

http://www3.shopping.com/Norton-Nor...in-Non-Woven-Wheel-with-5-8-in-11mm-Hole/info

This one has a 5/8" hole, but the ones I have are the ones with a threaded hub, which screw right onto the grinder.

Thanks Tom! Do you feel it does a better job than a flap disc or a wire wheel?

Made some more progress today although not much to notice.

Some more steel has found its way home. 120' of 1" angle iron and 2 17"W x 8'L 1/4 plates for the RF plates.

9d49c113_0514111151a.jpg

We cut up some plate for the firebox and warming box.

ecf028d4_0514111152a.jpg

Cut off the end of the tank and did some more welding.

05d948b8_0514111317.jpg

And cut up some of the angle iron for our rack slides.

02f48e6c_0514111555.jpg

And then burned out the tank.

c2493d2c_0514111621.jpg

1c359f55_0514112047.jpg

We are taking a weekend off next weekend and then will get back to start on the RF plates, grease drain, and firebox/warming box. Total cost is now $310.

Last edited:
Looking pretty good Joel.  I like it.

BTW...Thanks for not posting what you paid for the angle. LOL

And yes, I honestly feel for finish work (#1 paint removal #2 weld clean up) that the wheel I posted is the best there is. 

Other then that I would suggest the Walter Enduro-Flex.

Its a one wheel for all kinda thing, heavy metal removal, light clean up to polish all in one wheel. 

All that with a sizeable backing plate. 

There the bomb, but they come with a price. about 10 bucks each.

Looking pretty good Joel.  I like it.

BTW...Thanks for not posting what you paid for the angle. LOL

And yes, I honestly feel for finish work (#1 paint removal #2 weld clean up) that the wheel I posted is the best there is. 

Other then that I would suggest the Walter Enduro-Flex.

Its a one wheel for all kinda thing, heavy metal removal, light clean up to polish all in one wheel. 

All that with a sizeable backing plate. 

There the bomb, but they come with a price. about 10 bucks each.

I did post it, just not explicitly.
biggrin.gif

I will have to get a couple and give it a try. I also have a friend that built his own media blaster that we can borrow.

We made a lot of progress today.

We cut the 5' section of 8" pipe to fit the contour of the tank and down to 38".

d2674cb1_0528111441.jpg

The drip rail and drain got installed.

38b351a4_0528111818.jpg

The reverse flow plates got cut to size and notched to fit. We have one more to trim but should have them welded in next weekend.

18d88d71_0528111828.jpg

We also started working on fitting up the fire and warming box.

7f75124c_0528111836.jpg

We are getting closer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky