• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mark in the pit

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 24, 2017

Reverse Sous Vide Pulled Pork

This was my first attempt as Sous Viding anything. Following instructions from online manuals I used the recommended temp of 145°F for Sous Viding pork. I personally couldn't handle the texture. What I learned from this sous viding experience is that I prefer my meats cooked at traditional temperatures. Not lower pasteurized temps.

Ingredients:
Pork Butt
Mustard
Byron's Butt Rub

Method:
1) Smoke the pork butt as usual for until you reach desired smoke / color.
2) Sous vide for 24 hours @ 165°F (what I recommend).
3) Just pull it and eat it, torching is just kind of weird. If I really needed to add some more color I would toss it back on the smoker for another hour or so.

What I did via trial and error was follow instructions and sous vide @ 145°F for 24 hours. I could not handle the texture. Thinking back on the experience I think I can better describe the texture of the pork to be kind of like if canned tuna wasn't dry and hard. To try and salvage the pork I sous vided again for another 24 hours @ 165°F. That produced a more traditional pulled pork in both appearance and texture.

I can't imagine 145* IT temperature for pork, that defiantly was your problem. I haven't done a butt as of yet, only chucks and top rounds. If I did beef for that long a time I don't think I would like the texture at all, way to spongy. I guess pork reacts differently.

I've done a few cuts of pork and chicken and fish since then. Havent tried beef yet, I quess that would be more to just warm it to temp than sear the outside. But I am noticing for myself, when cooking at lower temps that instructionals I've come across call for I really just don't care for the texture. Not concerned about being under cooked as time = pasteurization. But using traditraditional temps gives a traditional texture with a little more tenderness. At least that seems to be my experience. Only reason I posted this video is because I was able to save it. That and I'm sure I'm not the first guy to screw something up learning this sous videing thing. :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky