Restored My Father's Pseudo-Kamado "Hibachi" Now with Q-View!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 19, 2010
Bay Area, CA
In early June, rp RibKing started a poll & a thread: How Did You Start Smoking Meat.  The timing of that thread was interesting in that I was beginning to restore my father's cast iron kamado-type BBQ/smoker.  The original thread is available here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/107192/how-did-you-start-smokin-meat

As I said, I had just rescued that little wonder from years of neglect and obscurity out in my father's yard.  I have a lot of great memories , meals and camping trips tied to this BBQ. The unit was made in Japan and is almost as old as I am. It and my father became my inspiration for smoking meats today (something I really wasn't aware of until I posted to that thread over a month ago).

Here's what she looked like when I first picked her up.  The wood handles and base were completely gone, as were the lower vent drawer and the grate-lifting tool designed for servicing the coals.

b84a13b9_IMG_1733.jpg

And another view:

e1d5d11a_IMG_1731.jpg

The coal and cooking greats were barely intact -- just enough to use as a template for new grates.  The originals are cast iron; the new grates will be steel.

a32127b6_IMG_1735.jpg

The original colors scheme was dark burgundy on the top and black on the bottom.  I disassembled the BBQ and saved all of the old, rusted hardware to guide my selections for replacement parts.  I chose brass hardware & fittings which provide nice accents to the restoration.  I could not find any type of high-temp burgundy paint, so I opted for Ford engine red (rated up to 550*) purchased at the local auto parts store.  After wire brushing and grinding off years of dirt and rust, I applied the paint.

f8b2b17f_IMG_1784.jpg

I turned new handles out of oak on my lathe.  The base is also cut from the same oak plank.

c3b3d6b5_IMG_1788.jpg

I also welded a new lower vent and turned an oak knob (an upgrade from the original vent which had a snap ring as a handle).  I thought painting the vent red gave some great contrast.

3f4fcbda_IMG_1787.jpg

The top vent is literally just a lid that you cock to one side to adjust.

f607c541_IMG_1789.jpg

On to the grates.  I finally had some time to run across the valley and pick up 20 feet 1/4" X 1/2" steel for $8.00.  First, I carefully bent and welded the outer ring, using the original grates as templates and test fitting the rings in the BBQ.  They sat perfectly on the little mounts in the casting.  I fired up the buzz box stick burner and went to town, ending up with some pretty decent looking grates for someone who doesn't weld very often.  The welds aren't pretty, but they hold.  Everything survived a couple of good drop tests on the driveway.  Here's the new cooking grate:

1b407bdd_IMG_1783.jpg

And the coal grate...

45ee3ce0_IMG_1782.jpg

I ran out of steel
PDT_Armataz_01_35.gif
and will have to pick up a couple of feet more to lay in a criss-cross pattern on the coal grate.  It should work as is for the seasoning and re-inaugural cook/smoke.   The newer heavy duty steel should last quite a bit longer than the old cast iron grates.

Here she is -- all pretty and assembled and ready for seasoning. 

c1fa5dee_IMG_1790.jpg

I'll spray the inside with Olive Oil and load some coals in to get her ready for action.  I'll also use that opportunity to get used to how she runs and responds to adjustments.  My dad says she runs on just a handful of coals for hours (about 6 -- if his memory is accurate).  I plan on using Rancher hardwood coal for my cooks (provides some nice smokey flavor) along with wood chips or sticks for added smoke.

Of course, I will post Q-view of my first smoke/cook on this once-again glorious little BBQ.  And -- yes -- my father will partake of that meal as a tribute to him and the memories he built providing some awesome eats on many occasions!  Stay tuned!!

Last edited:
Reactions: meateater
WOW! That's some great work there James! Can't wait to see some Q. Bet your Dad is proud of you!

That's Awesome James!!

You're a great son!!!

I know how your Dad feels, because my Son does that kind of thing.

Things like that really make the old man feel good, and making him a meal from that beautiful relic will be a great finale to all your hard work.

Can't wait to see the pics of that !!!!

Thanks,

Bear

Nice job! There is nothing more rewarding that restoring a family item like that from your childhood. And it's great that your dad is still around to enjoy your efforts. Make sure he gets the first slice or piece or sandwich!

That is Awsome..what a great job. I have my Dad`s Hibachi but its an open one. I`ll have to post a pic of it...

WOW! That's some great work there James! Can't wait to see some Q. Bet your Dad is proud of you!

Yeah, He was pretty tickled to see it all spiffed up again.  He hasn't seen the grates all done, though.  I'll fire it this weekend.

That's Awesome James!!

You're a great son!!!

I know how your Dad feels, because my Son does that kind of thing.

Things like that really make the old man feel good, and making him a meal from that beautiful relic will be a great finale to all your hard work.

Can't wait to see the pics of that !!!!

Thanks,

Bear
Thanks, Bear.  I really think he was/is pleased.  I also believe he thinks I'm a little nuts for bothering, but I love projects like this.  He never complains about getting some of my Q, though!!!

Nice job! There is nothing more rewarding that restoring a family item like that from your childhood. And it's great that your dad is still around to enjoy your efforts. Make sure he gets the first slice or piece or sandwich!
He has dibs on the first portion of whatever we make.  There's a funny family story of my sister and I devouring a pork loin he made while camping when we were very young.  Apparently, my folks thought we would get 2-3 meals out of it -- but my sis and I had other plans!!!!  I'll probably make one of those first.

That is Awsome..what a great job. I have my Dad`s Hibachi but its an open one. I`ll have to post a pic of it...

I'd love to see that!

very nice work, james.  that is a very cool looking smoker and a great story.  can't wait to see the q view
Thanks!  I can't wait to fire it up myself!

Yup,

That's one of the jobs we Fathers have to put up with------Helping to eat the Son's extra "Q".

It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.  
biggrin.gif

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiochiro3  

Thanks, Bear.  I really think he was/is pleased.  I also believe he thinks I'm a little nuts for bothering, but I love projects like this.  He never complains about getting some of my Q, though!!!

Yup,

That's one of the jobs we Fathers have to put up with------Helping to eat the Son's extra "Q".

It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.  
biggrin.gif

Bear
laugh1.gif
  And you guys are such a great dads for "helping" us boys out!!!

That is some great work you did there. Thanks for sharing. Going tohave to post some pics when you get it fired up and some meat on there.

That is some great work you did there. Thanks for sharing. Going to have to post some pics when you get it fired up and some meat on there.
Thanks!  Should have some Q-view from it this weekend.  I'll probably season it tonight and smoke something tomorrow.  Stay tuned!

This is one of the best threads I have ever read on here outstanding...
Looks-Great.gif

Thanks, ECTO1!  It sure was fun anticipating the finished product, my dad's reaction, and the first Q!

Update: 

I finished welding the lower grate and made a grate removal tool to service the coals/wood chunks.  Turned a handle from the same oak to match the rest of the smoker.

af9e3fc7_IMG_1801.jpg

Here she is getting re-seasoned; I coated the inside and grates with some Olive Oil and dumped in a small pile of coals.  She quickly rose to 360* and just hung there nice and steady.  Here is a pic of the first stream of smoke this thing has seen in 25-30 years!

7d8cf39c_IMG_1797.jpg

As promised, I invited my dad over for the first meal -- a small pork roast.  The family story is that my sister and I demolished a pork roast on a family camping trip to the Redwoods in Northern CA when we were very young.  My folks had planned to get 2-3 meals out of that roast, and we only got one b/c the Q was so great.  So pork roast was the only choice for the re-induction smoke.

Once she was re-seasoned, I started playing with the vents to learn how temp management is with it.  It didn't take long to get her to hold a steady 250ish degrees.

b8987deb_IMG_1799.jpg

Set the roast and a couple of sausages that needed to be cooked (darn it!!!).  Here they are:

e62a09f7_IMG_1800.jpg

And here's the money shot:

78d6c862_IMG_1803.jpg

Yes, my father got the first bite.  This final pic just about says it all...

a1248265_IMG_1804.jpg

Just like that camping trip 40+ years ago!  LOL!  Thanks for looking and for all of the kudos & encouragement!

Nice Job James------Proud to know ya!!!

Ole Dad had to be beyond Proud !!!!

Thanks for including us in this whole episode !!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky