Repeated Internal Server Errors Upon Reply/Quote - 6-22-2018

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
So this seems to be an issue that is reoccurring and I'm not sure it has been raised.
Basically there are issues with making some reply posts to existing threads.

Issue: Inability to post replies to a forum threads in a number of scenarios. Error received is "Internal Server Error".
15s6f01.png

Impact
: Affects core functionality of the forum. Affects ability to consistently participate in forum threads by preventing users from being able to post replies in a number of cases.

Frequency: Intermittent, seems to only occur with certain types of post replies, not all types.

Repeatable: Yes.

Behavior: Internal Server Error received when trying to use Multi-Quote feature as well Reply feature on existing threads.
It seems that the string/message content used in the post reply is causing the server to fail.
This has occurred with the use of the Multi-Quote feature as well as the "Image" feature (not to be confused with "Gallery" feature) of a thread reply post.

Steps to Repeat: Go to a thread with more than 3 posts. Use the multi-quote feature and reply with a few lines of simple text.

Also, use the multi-quote feature AND use the "Image" feature to post 3 large images. Delete the multi-quote text and see if the "Image" feature still causes the Internal Server Error. Delete the Image text and post to likely have success posting

Let me know if you have any questions and I'm sure I can help you repeat the error and you can troubleshoot the logs/system to figure out what is going on.

Thanks! :)

Wow the error is happening right now as I try to edit the original post hahaha. So odd :)

That's the same Flag that comes up every time I try to Edit my Step by Steps Index.
Jeff reported it to the Platform Geeks, but so far no change.

Also--As of today, this is the first time I'm being logged out all the time too.
I haven't had to log in more than twice since we switched platforms, but today I had to log on about 20 times already.

Bear

That's the same Flag that comes up every time I try to Edit my Step by Steps Index.
Jeff reported it to the Platform Geeks, but so far no change.

Also--As of today, this is the first time I'm being logged out all the time too.
I haven't had to log in more than twice since we switched platforms, but today I had to log on about 20 times already.

Bear

Yeah something is screwy.

I'm not getting the log off issue. I am only accessing from a PC though.
With all my activity and long winded posts you can probably tell that work has been slow lately :D

Yeah something is screwy.

I'm not getting the log off issue. I am only accessing from a PC though.
With all my activity and long winded posts you can probably tell that work has been slow lately :D

Here's a Beauty that's happening to me right now.

I made a comment on a Thread about a 20 pound Prime Rib.
Now when I click on "Recent" that thread isn't on "Recent" list when I'm logged in, but when I'm logged out it's on the Recent List. That just doesn't make any sense at all!!!!

Bear

Now when I click on "Recent" that thread isn't on "Recent" list when I'm logged in, but when I'm logged out it's on the Recent List. That just doesn't make any sense at all!!!!

Bear

Just got the very same thing.

Bear

HAHHAHAHAHAHAH I totally found that same behavior earlier today before reading your post!!!!
Man small world hahaha. I think we are either causing all the problems or the gremlins are after us two :p

Oh and about 4 minutes ago I ran into my first Log Off issue hahaha

I switched my browser to Chrome from Explorer. Seems to have solved ALL the issues I was having with pics, posts, and log-outs. We'll see if it sticks.

I am on IE at work, all kinds of problems. Chrome at home, no issues.

I went to edit a post to add more info and also received this error. On Firefox (latest version 58???). I abandoned IE eons ago and will either use Firefox or Chrome.

I've been using Chrome exclusively. I think the issues are just intermittent or the site is slowly degrading and messing up lol.

I've not had these problems (yet) ... But I still have problems with the forums never fully loading and thus freezing up my internet ... I'm using chrome...

ok.. so this Is what I see happening... when I read a thread it doesn't show up again when I go back to "recent"... I had to go to "my activity" to find this thread to repost to it ...

Adam.. I disagree... It has been that way.. it just doesn't/didn't have the dot at the beginning showing a new reply...

That was how I could tell If I read a thread or not by the dot being there (or not)... If no dot, then I knew I had already read that thread and there had been no new reply since I read it ...

Last edited:
Well there are some threads I replied to a few hour ago that are no longer in my view of recent posts at all. Something is amiss and it may be getting worse?

So with this section of the forum for bugs and such, are we suppose to hear back from a systems operation person or someone like that? I don't recall there being a process outlined or anything for this type if situation.

Obviously this part of the forum exists but I wonder if it is even being monitored.
Believe it or not this kind of thing happens all the time in all kinds of ways.
I once worked for a software company and they were trying to hire and in a meeting about it I asked if there was any activity in the resume submission section of the website.
Everyone looked at me like I was crazy so I showed it to them.
When they checked there were thousands of resumes submitted for a few years and no one was aware hahahahaha.

It is crazy when you discovered what gets missed out there in the world :)

so after replying to this.. it doesn't show up in "recent"

I just got back on since last night.

However that's one of the things that was happening to me:
If I managed to make a reply, it wouldn't show up in the recent list.
But then if I got logged out it would show up.
Log-in----Gone again.
Log Out --There is is again.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky