Reheating pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoffa2651

Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Boylston, MA
I know reheating pulled pork the day after smoking isn’t the most ideal but I’m going to need to do that this weekend. Anyone have any good techniques to reheating and serving ?

I just did exactly like said above in a pot of water on the stove . Never even brought to a boil . It was fantastic . I'm in Teneessee on vacation . Smoked the butt at home in Missouri last Thursday .

Also some finishing sauce mixed in brings it back to just as moist as when I came off the smoker. I use chef jimmyj chef jimmyj sauce

Yup have done the boiling deal many times. Meat stays as moist as it was when put in vac bags, Although there is no problem adding a finishing sauce if you so choose. I packaged in 5lb lots and used at a event using 85lbs.

Warren

Reactions: 912smoker
On the contrary, I think PP is always better the next day and many that have already posted share that sentiment.

I don't have a vacuum sealer so I season it and then freeze in zip lock. When I reheat in the oven I use a closed dish (corningware or similar). Once it reheats enough to be malleable I put some JJ's finishing sauce in and incorporate that, then let it get to temp in the oven.

For those who vac seal and boil, how big of batches are you reheating? I'm smoking a couple butts the day before leaving for vacation and then serving it for around 20 people, though I'll probably reserve some of the second butt in individual portions for people to reheat for lunches throughout the week. So I'm probably looking at reheating 10-12 pounds in one batch. Is seal and boil still the best method for a batch that size, or is there another method that would be more efficient?

For those who vac seal and boil, how big of batches are you reheating?
I don't boil , just bring to a simmer with the vac packs of pork in the water as it heats up .
Just did an 8lb butt split into two packs .
Brought to a simmer , then opened and into a pot . Added JJ's finishing sauce to moisten up and heat through .

Reactions: gmc2003 and tm3308
I don't boil , just bring to a simmer with the vac packs of pork in the water as it heats up .
Just did an 8lb butt split into two packs .
Brought to a simmer , then opened and into a pot . Added JJ's finishing sauce to moisten up and heat through .

Perfect, thank you! I've been dying to smoke some butts for my family out in Pennsylvania (I live in Wisconsin), but the grill they have at their lakehouse isn't very reliable and I can't take my smoker with me (yet).

Perfect, thank you!
Yup , no problem . So to be more to the point , I did mine in Missouri 2 days before my trip . Cooled , then vac'd . Held in a 36 degree fridge . That's a therm reading .
Don't go by cold and colder . Know what you're dealing with for this stuff .
Never frozen because my trip was doable in a day . I knew it was going back in the fridge in short time . So brought up to a simmer , and held there for 30 minutes .
Cut the bags open and dumped in a pot . No sizzle , just a bit of steam rising . Added the vinegar finishing sauce to taste , degree of moisture and served with slaw .
I did reach out to JJ to confirm my thoughts .
If you have a longer trip , don't be afraid to freeze first . Dump ice in the bottom of the cooler . Put the packs in and cover with more ice .

When I'm home I do as stated above, but if I bring it to work I heat it up in a microwave. Its still comes out good. Just don't overnuke it.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky