• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Reheating pulled pork

hoffa2651

Joined Feb 28, 2012
I know reheating pulled pork the day after smoking isn’t the most ideal but I’m going to need to do that this weekend. Anyone have any good techniques to reheating and serving ?

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I just did exactly like said above in a pot of water on the stove . Never even brought to a boil . It was fantastic . I'm in Teneessee on vacation . Smoked the butt at home in Missouri last Thursday .

jcam222

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
99% of the time I am serving my pulled pork the next day. Gives me a chance to defat the liquid gold and then mix back through the pulled meat in roaster pans. I’ve never had a complaint.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Yup . Wasn't much talking going on at supper tonight .

SmokingUPnorth

Smoking UPNorth
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 7, 2017
Also some finishing sauce mixed in brings it back to just as moist as when I came off the smoker. I use chef jimmyj chef jimmyj sauce

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Yup have done the boiling deal many times. Meat stays as moist as it was when put in vac bags, Although there is no problem adding a finishing sauce if you so choose. I packaged in 5lb lots and used at a event using 85lbs.

Warren

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
IMO, pulled pork is always better the second day. So yours will be great.
I just put the vac sealed bag of PP in a pot of cold water, turn the stove onto Medium, and when the water comes to a boil the meat is hot.
Gary

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
I try to collect the juice from a butt slow smoke.
If a soon reheat, I either use a crock pot for small quantity or the electric roaster for the feast

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 18, 2016
On the contrary, I think PP is always better the next day and many that have already posted share that sentiment.

I don't have a vacuum sealer so I season it and then freeze in zip lock. When I reheat in the oven I use a closed dish (corningware or similar). Once it reheats enough to be malleable I put some JJ's finishing sauce in and incorporate that, then let it get to temp in the oven.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like smoker912 it is appreciated.

Warren

tm3308

Joined Jun 20, 2021
For those who vac seal and boil, how big of batches are you reheating? I'm smoking a couple butts the day before leaving for vacation and then serving it for around 20 people, though I'll probably reserve some of the second butt in individual portions for people to reheat for lunches throughout the week. So I'm probably looking at reheating 10-12 pounds in one batch. Is seal and boil still the best method for a batch that size, or is there another method that would be more efficient?

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
For those who vac seal and boil, how big of batches are you reheating?
I don't boil , just bring to a simmer with the vac packs of pork in the water as it heats up .
Just did an 8lb butt split into two packs .
Brought to a simmer , then opened and into a pot . Added JJ's finishing sauce to moisten up and heat through .

tm3308

Joined Jun 20, 2021
I don't boil , just bring to a simmer with the vac packs of pork in the water as it heats up .
Just did an 8lb butt split into two packs .
Brought to a simmer , then opened and into a pot . Added JJ's finishing sauce to moisten up and heat through .
Perfect, thank you! I've been dying to smoke some butts for my family out in Pennsylvania (I live in Wisconsin), but the grill they have at their lakehouse isn't very reliable and I can't take my smoker with me (yet).

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Perfect, thank you!
Yup , no problem . So to be more to the point , I did mine in Missouri 2 days before my trip . Cooled , then vac'd . Held in a 36 degree fridge . That's a therm reading .
Don't go by cold and colder . Know what you're dealing with for this stuff .
Never frozen because my trip was doable in a day . I knew it was going back in the fridge in short time . So brought up to a simmer , and held there for 30 minutes .
Cut the bags open and dumped in a pot . No sizzle , just a bit of steam rising . Added the vinegar finishing sauce to taste , degree of moisture and served with slaw .
I did reach out to JJ to confirm my thoughts .
If you have a longer trip , don't be afraid to freeze first . Dump ice in the bottom of the cooler . Put the packs in and cover with more ice .

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
I agree with chopsaw. I have froze and reheated over 85lb in 5lb lots for an event.

Warren

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
When I'm home I do as stated above, but if I bring it to work I heat it up in a microwave. Its still comes out good. Just don't overnuke it.

Chris

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like tm3308 it is appreciated.

Warren

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.