REHEAT QUESTION

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kc5tpy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 12, 2013
Newark on Trent, United Kingdom.
Hello Folks.  I just came up with an idea I don't know will work so I thought I would ask the experts.

Here is the deal:  I have 14 coming for Christmas dinner.  Considering the British weather I couldn't risk smoking turkey on the day.  I have reheated smoked meats many different ways but it just isn't at it's best in my opinion.  This is Christmas dinner so I decided to roast 2 turkeys in the oven.  I then used all the bones, skin, cuttings to make a KILLER turkey stock.  All vac sealed and in the freezer.  What if I turn the reheat around the other way?  IF ( big IF ) I get the weather on the day can I reheat in the smoker?  Of course I can do that but what I mean is will the cooked sliced meat take any smoke?  I have the stock to keep it moist.  I might even reheat/smoke all the stock before making gravy.  Roast turkey reheats well but would the "smoked version" just taste like left over smoked meat, AND will it take smoke?  Thanks.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Rethink:  Would it just be better to reheat/smoke the stock and just have a smokie gravy?

Danny

Last edited:

Hello Folks.  I just came up with an idea I don't know will work so I thought I would ask the experts.

Here is the deal:  I have 14 coming for Christmas dinner.  Considering the British weather I couldn't risk smoking turkey on the day.  I have reheated smoked meats many different ways but it just isn't at it's best in my opinion.  This is Christmas dinner so I decided to roast 2 turkeys in the oven.  I then used all the bones, skin, cuttings to make a KILLER turkey stock.  All vac sealed and in the freezer.  What if I turn the reheat around the other way?  IF ( big IF ) I get the weather on the day can I reheat in the smoker?  Of course I can do that but what I mean is will the cooked sliced meat take any smoke?  I have the stock to keep it moist.  I might even reheat/smoke all the stock before making gravy.  Roast turkey reheats well but would the "smoked version" just taste like left over smoked meat, AND will it take smoke?  Thanks.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Rethink:  Would it just be better to reheat/smoke the stock and just have a smokie gravy?

Danny
I never did it, but some guys Double Smoke a Spiral sliced Ham, and they come out good & take on extra smoke.

I don't do it, because Spiral sliced don't have enough fat on them IMO.

However if it works for Ham, it should work for Turkey.

Bear

I agree with Bear, I think it will take on smoke.

The only problem I see is there is a chance that smoking sliced turkey will dry it out.

So I would put it in a pan with some of the broth & smoke it that way.

Stirring it up every hour or so.

Both the meat & the broth will take on smoke.

Al

Hi Danny, I would think it would dry out as well.

When we do our Mini Hog Roast and have a large number to feed (300+) we cook the Pork Loins, then allow to cool in the refrigerator. Then slice on the slice.

We then reheat in stock to keep it moist.

I would go this way for the Turkey.

Then if the weather is good you can reheat/smoke the Sliced Turkey on the BBQ, or if the weather is bad, add a little bit of liquid smoke to the stock to get the Flavours you are looking for, and reheat in the oven.

ROTF.gif
 I TOTALLY agree Bear!  FAT IS A GOOD THING!!!

Thanks guys for the advice.  I have that turkey stock I made so a little of that "SHOULD" keep it moist.  If you guys think the sliced turkey will take smoke I'll give it a try; IF I get the weather.  Merry Christmas to you all.

Danny

ROTF.gif
 I TOTALLY agree Bear!  FAT IS A GOOD THING!!!

Thanks guys for the advice.  I have that turkey stock I made so a little of that "SHOULD" keep it moist.  If you guys think the sliced turkey will take smoke I'll give it a try; IF I get the weather.  Merry Christmas to you all.

Danny
Danny I have to disagree 

1 you will be spending great moments taking care of the smoker.

( use the oven)

2 the stock you have made will make a great smoky gravy

3 Have a Merry X-Mas

Richie

Hi Danny

As mentioned above, turkey is a meat that is very prone to drying out when cooked too long. Smoking it the first time will give it the flavour and it will remain moist, however if you try to reheat it uncovered it will become very dry. Turkey will reheat well providing it is foiled - and yes this could be done in the smoker - but there would be little point smoking it when it is wrapped in foil. It would be a pity to end up with inferior turkey with such a lot of guests waiting with anticipation at the table.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky