1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Ref; Smoked Watermelon.. Ham?

Discussion in 'Fruit, Nuts & Vegetables' started by TomKnollRFV, Aug 6, 2018.

1. GATOR240

GATOR240 Smoking Fanatic

Thanks for trying that. Like. Someone had to do it!

2. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

First off, while this is interesting stuff, it does not entice me one bit. :) In any event, I suspected the "ash" was more than likely soda ash or sodium carbonate and when I searched sodium+carbonate+fruit I found some interesting things. Seems it's like cure for fruit. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ps.880

3. 73saint

73saint Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I thought I saw somewhere that they actually put wood ash in the brine and that is what changed the texture. I’ve got a buddy in the restaurant biz in Fla, they are doing it now and I know they used pecan ash in the brine.

4. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

Chemically I think wood ash and soda ash are somewhat similar in that they both are alkaline and would raise pH of the brine, so both might work. Maybe it's just a large amount of sugar in the brine and it jells into a candy type thing? That could explain the sheen too.

73saint likes this.
  5. TXCowboyBBQ

TXCowboyBBQ Newbie

I’m new to this forum, but I came across this little gem. I love making up concoctions. I am going to try this over the next few days. I’m going to do it two different ways. I will keep you all updated if you’d like.

73saint likes this.
  6. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

Let me know! It can't be weirder than grilling it right?

TXCowboyBBQ likes this.