Ref; Smoked Watermelon.. Ham?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just want to figure out exactly what to do to try it at home! I like grilled Watermelon so this has to be better!

A Daily Mail article says,
"The innovative dish involves the restaurant smoking the fruit twice before soaking it in a brine similar to one that would be used for meat....
...Juicy: The watermelon is smoked twice for eight hours before being placed in a brine for four days, which gives it a meaty flavor on the outside....

To create the juicy 'ham', the eatery smokes the watermelon for eight hours, and then places it in a brine made of salt, ash, and spices for four days.

But that's not all.

The watermelon is then smoked for another eight hours before it is placed in a pan with rosemary and the 'meaty' juices to solidify the taste...."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/f...-Eatery-introduces-smoked-ham-watermelon.html

(Underline mine)

Edit: I'm reading it again and I'm confused by the wording in article. At first, it looks like they brine it then smoke it twice... but, when you read further down it seems to say they smoke it, then brine it four days, then smoke it again, then put it in the oven.

Last edited:
Brine made with ash. Huh. Interesting.

It is. Wonder what the purpose is. Flavor or preservative or texture or a combination? They cut it in thick chunks in the video, thicker than we'd usually slice a ham, which makes me think it can't handle being cut thinner. Looks like it's still soft and might be prone to collapsing or falling apart if cut too thin. Also looks like the texture has changed and looks a little like it's jellied.

Reactions: 73saint
Give me the ratios and you can bet I'll try it!

**Or we convince Kris to try. She might be in watermelon country.. LOL**

Na...na...na...no...lol... this is your hamelon... I'm perfectly happy to support your efforts. Plus, you just got that shiny new meat curing fridge... perfect size for brining the hamelon.
It's full already for the most part with buckboard bacon and random stuff. I also have no idea what the ratios would be for this, so I hope some one figures it out. I mean you are right in that I'll do it :P

I figured it's a mind screw for sure. It looks like Ham..but it'll taste like dessert.

9E975B6F-A5B4-4A59-94E7-C324D81F5573.jpeg
55C6AEFF-B07A-4708-BFDA-552BBA9CF728.jpeg
E418A7F6-B242-4516-AB15-C768AC15AE24.jpeg
After reading this, I smoked a watermelon last weekend. 4 days in a coriander brine, 8 hours smoking, then roasting in its juice, as close as I could to the videos above. Final judgement: it’s weird, looks like vegan prime rib, smoky but has a weird combo of flavors. The texture changes from light crunch to gelatinous, reminescent of rare steak. The spicing was weird: I think it was too heavy with coriander, but I am not super familiar with coriander so I don’t know if it was the culprit for the weird flavor. No one ate more than a few bites, and I threw most of it away. Final score: 2/10, interesting experiment, looked like a roast but was a fruit, would not do again.

I give you a 10/10 for effort! I've got a good friend trying it exactly as the recipe is given (w the ash brine). Will be interested to hear his opinion and compare to yours.

I'm honestly surprised some one here tried it! 10/10 for trying!

I have now forgotten all the weird aspects of this dish, but I know the Ash had some thing to do with how it firmed up or some thing..

I still like grilled Watermelon though!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky