Ref; Not the usual Thanksgiving ideas!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
I'm just curious what people do beyond Turkey. We long ago started doing a ham or beef roast and turkey <also 16 people to feed, now not so many, but we still do both>.

Any one do some thing not the normal? I'd love to hear about it.

Usually we do turkey and ham then there could also be a deer roast or wild goose usually these 2 would be smoked not the turkey or the ham. Mash taters and gravy, string bean casserole, max and cheese, succotash and sauerkraut. Yup sauerkraut is a local thing here and always when you have turkey. A crouse the desserts pies and cakes all home made.

Warren

Tom,

I have been doing thanksgiving the past few years since my mom passed. Ive smoked and then sv a prime rib the last two years. Not sure what I’m gonna do this year. Maybe I’ll throw a Swanson turkey dinner on the table and blow the families mind.

Scott

Inject a turkey and hot smoke it for Thanksgiving. Next day I do an 8 or 9lb prime rib for 7 people. After doing a chuck roast SV, last week, I will probably do that to the PR and reverse sear on the Yoder. With the leftovers, we have hot prime rib sandwiches with jus.

Last year I did a Turkey...was real careful...brined, etc...in full candor...it sucked. I have no idea what I did wrong, but it was our first Thanksgiving in 20 years at our house. (we always went up north to the in-laws)

So...this year, we are having Thanksgiving day at home again and I suggested I would try the Turkey again...but...momma said maybe not...you can't screw up holiday meals.

So...she was thinking I could smoke prime rib (really hard to mess it up and we will be having Turkey the next day at the in laws anyway). I liked that idea, but I'm also looking for other sides. I'm thinking green bean casserole, stuffing...but, looking for other ideas as well...any good ideas?

.I liked that idea, but I'm also looking for other sides. I'm thinking green bean casserole, stuffing...but, looking for other ideas as well...any good ideas?
. To bad about ur turkey. I’ve been smoking one for the last 6 yrs. We make most normal side but have added some that r a little different. Everybody enjoys. Like BBQ green beans & stuffing BALLS. Way better than normal stuffing

Tom,

I have been doing thanksgiving the past few years since my mom passed. Ive smoked and then sv a prime rib the last two years. Not sure what I’m gonna do this year. Maybe I’ll throw a Swanson turkey dinner on the table and blow the families mind.

Scott
Scott. I hope if you do that, we get pictures of you having it thrown at you ;)

I know when my grandpa was around up north, they did venison etc. Personally I can't stand turkey except for the crispy skin. I'm going to brine the ham <probably starting the 1st, take out the 18th/19th and then smoke>.. I refuse to not have ham now. <The leftover ham is the best part!>

I'm sure I'll do turkey again...but, hard to compete with Grandma's turkey...she's been doing it for 50+ years...

I'll look up the Alton Brown recipe...good tip

I've only tried once...I like turkey, but would rather do other meats when I fire up the smoker...so maybe it's one of those things I just don't get enough trials at.

I can actually do whole chickens really well...you would think they would be similar.

If frying a turkey,I pop in a spiral sliced ham in after the turkey for 10-15 mins until the edges resemble cooked bacon.Deelicious!

On that same path....try a deep fried boston butt after you get done with the turkey. I actually found the recipe on the instructions for one of my turkey fryers. It's been awhile since I've done it but should be 8 1/2 to 9 minutes a #. I usually do one that is 6-8#. They are delicious and make for a nice change.

I am usually @ the duck camp for Thanksgiving. I've thrown an nutria on the pit a time or two. and by pit I'm referring to a piece of rebar nailed into the ground surrounded with hot coals and covered with a 55 gallon barrel. simple but effective.

baked turkey for years till I got into smoking then about nine years ago I did a deep fried turkey and now that's the only way I do the turkey. last year I also did a ham since we had more friends and family over. this year we are having even more friends over so I am going to do the same as last year. as far as side the normal things greenbean casserole,corn,mashed potatoes,and so on.
thinking i may smoke some potatoes this year and also a couple of fatties for some snacking foods plus the veggie and meat and cheese trays.
also make some cherry and blueberry cheese cake.

2 years ago I did a brisket, made some home made baked beans, chile cornbread, and okra and tomatoes... Yum, never go back to that turkey stuff again.....

I am usually @ the duck camp for Thanksgiving. I've thrown an nutria on the pit a time or two. and by pit I'm referring to a piece of rebar nailed into the ground surrounded with hot coals and covered with a 55 gallon barrel. simple but effective.
You know I've seen Nutria, good eating I read. Is it true?

Also mm brisket for Turkey Day...that isn't a bad idea..

Yep I'm doing a practice run on the Turkey this weekend. I love the challenge. To be honest I prefer a good smoked ham or Prime Rib for a holiday meal. Any type of BBQ would be a hit with my bunch. A lot of folks brag on the fried Turkeys but I've never fried a turkey (yet.......)

upload_2018-11-3_9-43-22.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky