1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Ref; Not the usual Thanksgiving ideas!

Discussion in 'Blowing Smoke Around the Smoker.' started by TomKnollRFV, Oct 30, 2018.

1. texomakid

texomakid Meat Mopper

Yep I'm doing a practice run on the Turkey this weekend. I love the challenge. To be honest I prefer a good smoked ham or Prime Rib for a holiday meal. Any type of BBQ would be a hit with my bunch. A lot of folks brag on the fried Turkeys but I've never fried a turkey (yet.......)

2. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Smoking Fanatic

Can you expand on the fried spiral ham idea please? I’ve never thought about that but it sounds absolutely amazing and I happen to have one in the freezer next to my turkey. Was thinking about doing Jeff’s double smoked with the root beer pineapple glaze but this has me rethinking that idea.

3. SmokinVOLfan

Deep fried Boston butt? Damn you guys got me thinking now haha. How does it taste do you inject or season heavy? I assume you have to do it in a basket?

4. SmokinVOLfan

Not sure if they have food city up there but if so they have whole New York strip roasts on sale for $4.99 lb this week. Good price for around here anyways

5. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

No Food City; but we see prices like that from time to time. Normally we get a decent chuck roast, but I prefer ham. <Ham is the best left overs possible am i right!?>

6. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

I think adding another protein despite how unique will just get lost in the sea of food at TG dinner. Best to go in a completely different direction. One of the coolest things we did (and now is tradition) is making "monkey bread" for TG breakfast. Our recipe is off limits but is not too far from this: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/6815/monkey-bread-i/ I will divulge that our family recipe uses frozen roll dough balls instead of canned. Make it night before and let rise in fridge. Pop that bad boy in the oven first thing and let the glorious smell perfume your home.

7. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Nothing special as far as sides goes on in our house. TG is one meal that we like to keep traditional. It allows us to remember our roots and what we grew up with. It's basically the same meal as it was for mine and my wifes parents knew growing up 80 years ago when their parents arrived at Ellis Island. The only exception would be the pickled herring that we traditional eat at all holidays. Not quite sure when that started.

Chris

8. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

As long as it's the pickled herring in wine and onion vs the weird sour cream stuff, who would complain?

9. kelbro

kelbro Smoke Blower

We did baked ziti a time or two, just for a change.

Dropping a prime rib into the turkey fryer after the bird is a very special treat for those that don't care for turkey.

Scott Eisenbraun likes this.