Ref; In Search of a Corn Salsa Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
Since I did the smoked salsa and it was a hit I want to do another batch of salsa. I love that corn and black bean salsa; but I'm not sure on a good recipe for it.

I like thick salsas..and I like the corn to be crispy. I'm wondering if any one here has made such a salsa in a smoker? Or just any other way? I could use a recipe here so I don't have over cooked mush :)

Not sure what you are looking for. There are hundreds of Native American and Mexican Corn Relish/Salsa/Salad, recipes. Many similar, corn, beans, chiles, onion, garlic and fruit with lime juice for acid. But these are all loose, not anything I would describe as Thick...JJ

I make a "loaded" version of Pico de gallo a lot! This is much like the link above. I have also heard it referred to as "cowboy caviar". These are excellent as "fresh" salsas and not cooked but you get a great smoke flavor from roasting/grilling the corn. Been meaning to try to get some smoke on some black beans as well.

If you get a can of Walmart Corn salsa, you know the thickness I mean. Any way I do this it ends up brought to a boil <for canning purposes>

I'm going to have to peruse these links and begin formulating a plan. I've also heard of cowboy caviar, name always was funny to me. I have a friend who honestly thought it was seafood until I showed them it in person!

I ended up bashing together a recipe..I just did the Tomatos, onions, and peppers in my smoker for about 5 hours with apple wood pellets. <I had some downstairs already in a measuring cup from doing other stuff, figured I'd use em up>.

Then I let it sit for 2 days to mellow and ran it through the blender on ice crusher setting- high.

Then I added a steamer bag of fire roasted corn+peppers, a regular bag of steamer sweet corn, and one small can of black beans, sans their water.

I added extra garlic powder, some salt and some cilantro and lemon juice. I under microwaved the corn as I had to bring the salsa to a boil for canning, so it didn't turn to mush and stayed crisp.

That sounds like a pretty good recipe. I would be interested at some point in seeing the finished product. Sounds like something to try.
Let me go snap a picture. It's all in jars now mind. It's really the colour and texture contrast versus any flavour the corn or beans added.

And here we have it...I ended up with about 4ls of this salsa.

Attachments

• 20180904_130925.jpg
    20180904_130925.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180904_130919.jpg
    20180904_130919.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Jeff Wright
Smoking the tomatos/onions/peppers really does give it a fire roasted flavour; but definitely wait a day or two after blending it all together to let the flavours mellow. I'm bringing a big jar of my plain stuff to the Michigan fattie contest, and one of these lil jars to see what them folk think. Glad I got into canning things.

Glad I got into canning things.
My girlfriend does some canning but I have tried recently too. We will be getting our little cabin in the woods this next winter or spring. I have grandious ideas of growing all sorts of things and really getting into it. Got to have something to do while tending to the smoker!!!

Good luck with the contest.

I won't be in the contest, Scott asked if I'd like to come out there for it, sure as heck said yes!

I've debated trying to do the canning in my instant pot actually; but at the end of the day, either way you got a pot of boiling water and trying to fish out boiling hot jars and lids and seals. That is the part I ask my dad's help with. We basically do it assembly line style. I have the instant pot on sautee, so it's got the salsa/jam/etc boiling, and then he brings a jar over and I fill it, and he has the lid and seal ready. If I had no help I could still do it, but we do alot of cooking projects together. It's nice to do; when I was a kid we did sunday breakfast etc together. Then we stopped and now here we are, trying crazy ideas from SMF ;)

I won't be in the contest, Scott asked if I'd like to come out there for it, sure as heck said yes!

I've debated trying to do the canning in my instant pot actually; but at the end of the day, either way you got a pot of boiling water and trying to fish out boiling hot jars and lids and seals. That is the part I ask my dad's help with. We basically do it assembly line style. I have the instant pot on sautee, so it's got the salsa/jam/etc boiling, and then he brings a jar over and I fill it, and he has the lid and seal ready. If I had no help I could still do it, but we do alot of cooking projects together. It's nice to do; when I was a kid we did sunday breakfast etc together. Then we stopped and now here we are, trying crazy ideas from SMF ;)

If you don't mind, stop by and pick me up on the way to the contest:D

That is a nice thing doing things with your dad. Cherished memories to last a lifetime. Last year was the first year me and my dad couldn't go deer hunting together in 45 + years. He just isn't able to any more. Maybe I will take up cooking with him!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky