Ref; And..pulled the trigger! First Fatty in progress!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I already want to make another one with pancakes and rasberries in it LOL. People may have gotten into it over night, so there's less then half now. Gonna try to vacc seal some for another day after I have some for dinner...

Also thinking of a surf and turf one..scallops and some strips of steak..

Fatties are great no matter the look imo. lol Sounds like a good mix . Like for me.
Have you tried to use the ziplock to roll it up? I put my burger in large ones, snip the corners to let air escape when rolling it flat. Then open up the ziplock part and use scissors to slice the sides up to the cut corners. Open stuff it then use the bag to roll it. Then pick it up place on bacon weave. Bacon weave I use grill matts then roll all or if up around the rolled meat. Then you can put in saran, or I just leave it in the matt if I am cooking that day. Just my 2 cents.

Fatties are great no matter the look imo. lol Sounds like a good mix . Like for me.
Have you tried to use the ziplock to roll it up? I put my burger in large ones, snip the corners to let air escape when rolling it flat. Then open up the ziplock part and use scissors to slice the sides up to the cut corners. Open stuff it then use the bag to roll it. Then pick it up place on bacon weave. Bacon weave I use grill matts then roll all or if up around the rolled meat. Then you can put in saran, or I just leave it in the matt if I am cooking that day. Just my 2 cents.
..Sure wish I had! I haven't gotten a grill mat yet; I should, but I haven't! <I saw some at fleet farm, but they had zero info on them. I wasn't really sure what the material was>.

I actually plan to get a 1.5 gal zip lock or some thing. Just to make it a bit bigger, so it rolls better. Won't help the bacon weave being small and horrid looking, but having an extra few inches for actually rolling woulda helped me alot!

I wanna do another one like this; with either more finely cut cheese or less..and it could use more cranberry and pepper jam. I expected the pepperjam to be more pronounced but it sort of just didn't ooze out around as the thing cooked as I expected.

I wonder if spreading the jam out over the fatty will help.

Chris

with either more finely cut cheese or less.

That's difficult to hear, "less cheese...," but I understand...lol. You could always try putting some of the ingredients into the meat too. I mentioned before, I can't really imagine cheese with stuffing. But, I'd try straight sharp cheddar or other distinguishing cheese, maybe even parm, if I "had" to do it..lol. Some chunky cranberry sauce, with the whole cranberries in it, put into the meat might be good, since you liked the flavor. This is redeemable! You've entered your own fatty territory... totally new type of fatty! Perfecting it through trial and error is what makes it so good, right? Then you can serve it up and be like.. :cool:..."MmmmHmmm, it's good..." :D

I actually should determine if the Chandoka melts well or not too <I've never..tried to well melt goat cheese before>.

I'm waiting to see in the next few days if there is enough rasberries to make a batch of pancakes. I have far to many fatty ideas now, and not enough bacon on hand.. LOL

Walmart..Walmart does. That was the Walmart Brand. Every time I buy bacon <regardless of brand as of late> it's sort of really odd lengths. I got a pack where half the pieces looked full sized in the pack, when I opened them, they were actually mangled halves.
I buy a brand called Farmland and it is very consistent. If you have that available then maybe give it a try.

George

Preface; God I hate Saran Wrap.

So I decided to do a combination of Farmland pork sausage <1lb> and roughly half pound of beef or so.

I'm going to fill this with pepper jack, a cheese from a goat farm around me <It's part cow, part goat milk> and some type of cheddar. Turkey Stuffing, Cranberry sauce..and a dabbling of Pepper Jam, Gotta have dat spice!

Unfortunately, I -really- hate Saran wrap. I am utterly convinced a better solution has to exist then using it. Or maybe buying walmart brand saran wrap is the problem. I can never get it to tear nicely, it just ends up some horrid ball every time I try lol. I'll get pictures as I go. Right now I just did the rolling out in a bag phase.

I agree! I really hate Saran Wrap - with or without the cutter - even when I remember to turn the ceiling fan off in the kitchen!

I rolled a second one today, not likely being cooked today. I put in the rest of that can of cranberry, a trio of cheese, pepper jam, and jasmine rice. It was much easier to roll this time as I cut back on how much stuff I put in. To be fair I don't really ..roll my fatties so much as I fold them up and pat it together like a stuffed meatloaf I suppose!

I did the rolling pin trick for the bacon weave, and it either just plain looked better, or this package had better bacon. Definitely going to remember that handy little trick for the future.

I just hope she'll be alright sitting in the fridge overnight. Tonight looks like left overs or just a quick burger at McDonalds. No point in doing a fattie when my pops won't be around to get the first crack, since he was pretty disappointed he wasn't here for my first one!

It will be fine with an overnight stay in the fridge. It may even be better as all the fixin's will sort of meld together.

Chris

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

No stuffing this time? Rice sounds good.
No Stuffing..I did a a big pot of jasmine rice <was gonna do fried rice this week> and used some of that!
It will be fine with an overnight stay in the fridge. It may even be better as all the fixin's will sort of meld together.

Chris
I sure hope so..! I love getting the pepper jam heat!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky