Introducing the smoked pulled pork pasty pie! Lots oh pics!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So this was what went into the throwdown for cheese!

Started with a smoked pork butt 11 hours at 265 on the RT 1250
0EE2DD4B-EE4A-47F5-A01A-0DBF80F4FBB4.jpeg

Had really nice bark and I added a bit of rendered fat from another smoked butt during the pull
AF280410-AE30-4414-8701-CFC752D37570.jpeg

The pasty pie was a play on a welly.....started with a pastry then a layer of prosciutto and PP on top....
925CA462-D427-4430-BD8E-75B7E25D4A9C.jpeg

Next some kinders bbq sauce with some bread and butter chips....
2020892E-8F4E-4F53-BE3F-4C2C9D425AEC.jpeg

Next a layer the hot pepper cheese......
3F760B76-ECBC-4456-858C-0D161408799A.jpeg

An now the "melty" cheese......
3CB802B4-5687-4EC4-A570-109D3EC70D00.jpeg

Now topped with another layer of prosciutto to complete the meat, cheese, meet wrap.....
0F40E127-46F9-484D-891E-794DCE868792.jpeg

Egg washed the edges and folded them in and pinched them tight.....
94DC85CB-3F9C-4E7E-A92A-B6D11AA1FDB3.jpeg

I also made a second one that didn't have the sweet chips and I used capicola.....experimenting right!
D111A7E5-7665-4FDA-95EB-70A0C55C43A8.jpeg

Now, I couldn't put this in the description but this wasn't cooked in the house oven but it was roasted on the new Weber Genny @ 450........
B6CF8C0D-4E9B-473C-9A60-85E9C4578D13.jpeg

Looking good....
F34F0622-384F-4E6E-83D2-858BFFD47A58.jpeg

Part way through.......I turned them 180 degrees on the pan to get both sides evenly toasty.......
08EE6773-64C2-40E4-91A5-C6C266F5F16C.jpeg

As usual I was multi tasking, so when they were almost done the peppers went on the grill and well just in case these were a fail, some GR shrimp for dinner......
40532881-EAA1-42DF-93F1-956C6CA3CBBF.jpeg

Bingo, all done & ready to plate!!!! The new 2022 Webers are performers!!!!
3510B881-E3C0-4A67-BD62-0647E578119F.jpeg

DF87696E-9DCC-4E38-BCFA-189F673F2C58.jpeg

C0802ECA-139F-497F-B4A3-DD8DA4C31B09.jpeg

This is the alternate plate shot that I didn't use.....the pasty pie is joined with some GR caramelized red onions, my wife's slaw, the grilled peppers, and a sliced dill (funny my boy was making fun of a recipe that had a fanned pickle in it and then looked up to see I just did it...he look at my wife and said Dad has lost it!)....
1DC3D256-CBCC-47FC-9B26-7BDF00B01417.jpeg

And now the throwdown pic.....
9F936230-1BB8-4DD6-A132-62E98323958D.jpeg

I have to say this was very easy to make (nothing like a welly) but holy smokes the combinations of flavors and the pastry was one of the best pulled pork items I have eaten! We will be doing these many times in the future!

Thanks again for everyone that voted (for each entry), it really made it fun and I have to admit that when I saw DRKsmoking DRKsmoking and BandCollector BandCollector entries, I was like wow after all these years to see three new creations in one post was just amazing!

Left over time....... hit it in MW for 1 min then in the oven at 375 till toasty.....Just wow even the second day!
15999D11-8A4A-49DB-BB8F-A148B2FF1FB6.jpeg

39E2D7AF-EC3F-4541-B6DA-7EDF3BB94869.jpeg

245DCEE3-1AAE-4CFE-AE24-B3F721B33722.jpeg

PS, I said it was a lot of pics!

Last edited:

View attachment 632850
Had really nice bark and I added a bit of rendered fat from another smoked butt during the pull
View attachment 632851
The pasty pie was a play on a welly.....started with a pastry then a layer of prosciutto and PP on top....
View attachment 632852
View attachment 632853
View attachment 632854
View attachment 632855
Now topped with another layer of prosciutto to complete the meat, cheese, meet wrap.....
View attachment 632856
View attachment 632857
I also made a second one that didn't have the sweet chips and I used capicola.....experimenting right!
View attachment 632859
Now, I couldn't put this in the description but this wasn't cooked in the house oven but it was roasted on the new Weber Genny @ 450........
View attachment 632860
Looking good....
View attachment 632871
Part way through.......I turned them 180 degrees on the pan to get both sides evenly toasty.......
View attachment 632861
As usual I was multi tasking, so when they were almost done the peppers went on the grill and well just in case these were a fail, some GR shrimp for dinner......
View attachment 632862
View attachment 632863
View attachment 632869
View attachment 632870
This is the alternate plate shot that I didn't use.....the pasty pie is joined with some GR caramelized red onions, my wife's slaw, the grilled peppers, and a sliced dill (funny my boy was making fun of a recipe that had a fanned pickle in it and then looked up to see I just did it...he look at my wife and said Dad has lost it!)....
View attachment 632864
View attachment 632865
I have to say this was very easy to make (nothing like a welly) but holy smokes the combinations of flavors and the pastry was one of the best pulled pork items I have eaten! We will be doing these many times in the future!

Thanks again for everyone that voted (for each entry), it really made it fun and I have to admit that when I saw DRKsmoking DRKsmoking and BandCollector BandCollector entries, I was like wow after all these years to see three new creations in one post was just amazing!

Left over time....... hit it in MW for 1 min then in the oven at 375 till toasty.....Just wow even the second day!
View attachment 632866
View attachment 632867
View attachment 632868

View attachment 632850
View attachment 632851
View attachment 632852
View attachment 632853
View attachment 632854
View attachment 632855
View attachment 632856
View attachment 632857
View attachment 632859
View attachment 632860
Looking good....
View attachment 632871
View attachment 632861
View attachment 632862
View attachment 632863
View attachment 632869
View attachment 632870
View attachment 632864
View attachment 632865

View attachment 632866
View attachment 632867
View attachment 632868
Just what I need....more ideas. looks wondermous.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Now thats a tasty looking meat pie. Nice write up as well.

Point for sure
Chris

Love it! Man those look great. I have to try them one day…when I can walk

That is straight smokin art from the heart! Perfection start to finish and so beautifully documented.

Now that is a great looking Meat pie. I was going to make a Stromboli type of dish and than changed my mind a couple times .
Your meal and plate looked fantastic and thanks for the detail on the build. I bet it was great tasting.
Your crust and colour was very perfect. and the close up of the innards, beautiful.

This was a fun throwdown, and I can't believe we are all getting new trucks for prizes, lol

David

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
Truly a work of art!

John
Thanks John! If was fun doing the competition, it was my first but it was a bit addicting!
Now thats a tasty looking meat pie. Nice write up as well.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris, It was a last minute adaptation but sometimes urgency is the mother of invention!
Nice work . I bet that was fantastic .
Many thanks Chop! It will be a "thing" in our house for sure!
Love it! Man those look great. I have to try them one day…when I can walk
Thanks sandy! Next time I'm going to do 4 smaller ones, ie 1/4 sheet size and make them like a large ravioli so they are perfect portion size! Pulled pork ravioli will be a thing! lol

Great job on the "Pork Wellie"!!!! I'll take one please.
Gary
Many thanks Gary! The staking vs rolling was a lot easier than a welly.....It has be thinking about how to make a welly more manageable vs an 1/2 prep...
That is straight smokin art from the heart! Perfection start to finish and so beautifully documented.
Thanks jcam! I thought about what to do for 3 weeks for the comp so all credit goes to the throwdown as this wouldn't have happed without it! And I've done lots of "welly" adaptations
Now that is a great looking Meat pie. I was going to make a Stromboli type of dish and than changed my mind a couple times .
Your meal and plate looked fantastic and thanks for the detail on the build. I bet it was great tasting.
Your crust and colour was very perfect. and the close up of the innards, beautiful.

This was a fun throwdown, and I can't believe we are all getting new trucks for prizes, lol

David
Thanks David! When I saw your meat tubes, I suspected they were yours and went holy crap its game on. I thought BandCollector BandCollector was Brokenhandle Brokenhandle and was happy to among the 3 for sure. Oh and yes, happy for the new truck! LOL Till the next time.......

Reactions: DRKsmoking
FANTASTIC!!!
Al
Many thanks Al! You should try it for sure, it is just another way to have pulled pork another way..... Not saying things out loud....but..... there may be some other proteins being tested out in our kitchen doing a similar thing......

That's just beautiful! And a welly I can definitely make! Just had my first try at making capicola, that's a good idea. How did you like it compared to the one with prosciutto? You all did a great job!

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Boy howdy does that ever look fantastic! I did a butt last week and have some coppa in the fridge, might be copy time! RAY

That's just beautiful! And a welly I can definitely make! Just had my first try at making capicola, that's a good idea. How did you like it compared to the one with prosciutto? You all did a great job!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan! I honestly could tell the difference between the prosciutto vs capicola. Both give just that smoky salty hint to it. I just used the package we got from Costco.
Boy howdy does that ever look fantastic! I did a butt last week and have some coppa in the fridge, might be copy time! RAY
Thanks Ray and you should try it is very easy to build. Put a little flour down and some mix up an egg with a bit of milk for the wash and bing. Oh remember to poke a few holes in the top to let it vent. I did/do it on the score lines to hide them. It needs to release moisture during the cook to keep it from getting soggy.

Wow! That is incredible!!!! What an awesome meal! Mega Points for those beautiful pictures and incredible cook! So tasty looking, definitely on my list!

Absolutely incredible. A truly creative meal and one can only think it was outstanding flavorwise. I know I'd be all over it, that's for sure. Excellent entry and mucho points for creativity...and cheese of course :emoji_wink:

You're preaching to the choir right here my friend :emoji_laughing:

Congrats to all three WINNERS of the throwdown!!
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky