Reapers new to me

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Kurt thanks any recommendations for smoke flavor.
Richie
I've been putting Qmatz on a rack in my Mes so the peppers don't fall through (80-100 peppers at a time) cut the stem off and halve them with the seeds and smoke with a full tray of Pecan sawdust for light smoke. I collect as many as possible and when the first picked start to get softer then smoke/dehydrate. It would be nice to load the smoker but batches of about 100 is as many as I can collect before needing to dry. I'm not sure how long the full tray smokes but the total duration is 16+ hours overnight at 150° like a dehydrator. Till I get to them. I weighed 40 dehydrated pieces (20) peppers at 13.4 gms. So i have an idea of fresh vs. dehydrated for hot sauce etc. after making powder. I definitetly remember to wear a surgical glove on the pepper holding hand and grind to a powder outside with my back to the wind.

if you ever want some seeds let me know,I am thinking of smoking and dehydrating some today.
Richie
I just might take you up on that .
I've had peppers in my mes 30 for 2 days now . Bell peppers , jalapenos , Poblano and a sweet salad pepper . I like to mild mix for some things . The small ones are done , the bells are getting close . I didn't smoke this batch , the next one I will so I have both .
I see Kurt posted while I was typing , I do almost the same thing , but I leave them whole and slit one side open , leave seeds in .

I've been putting Qmatz on a rack in my Mes so the peppers don't fall through (80-100 peppers at a time) cut the stem off and halve them with the seeds and smoke with a full tray of Pecan sawdust for light smoke. I collect as many as possible and when the first picked start to get softer then smoke/dehydrate. It would be nice to load the smoker but batches of about 100 is as many as I can collect before needing to dry. I'm not sure how long the full tray smokes but the total duration is 16+ hours overnight at 150° like a dehydrator. Till I get to them. I weighed 40 dehydrated pieces (20) peppers at 13.4 gms. So i have an idea of fresh vs. dehydrated for hot sauce etc. after making powder. I definitetly remember to wear a surgical glove on the pepper holding hand and grind to a powder outside with my back to the wind.
Kurt Thanks I have Pecan pellets and a mail box mod.Thanks for the like I appreciate it.
Richie

I just might take you up on that .
I've had peppers in my mes 30 for 2 days now . Bell peppers , jalapenos , Poblano and a sweet salad pepper . I like to mild mix for some things . The small ones are done , the bells are getting close . I didn't smoke this batch , the next one I will so I have both .
I see Kurt posted while I was typing , I do almost the same thing , but I leave them whole and slit one side open , leave seeds in .

I will be collecting some seeds today,so any time you want PM me.I thought about just slitting them open also.
Richie

I didn't do much feeding gave some coffee grinds and Epsom salt.I did give some plant an veg pellet type.The plants that were marked as Peach are only giving me red peppers.
Richie

These are the seeds I mentioned. I am starting 3 or 4 of each of these this weekend.

Pepper Seed Mix.jpg

How is the heat on your Reapers? I have some dried one's I bought that are insane.

These are the seeds I mentioned. I am starting 3 or 4 of each of these this weekend.

View attachment 376575

How is the heat on your Reapers? I have some dried one's I bought that are insane.
I turned many Lemon Drop peppers into dust at the end of last season to store. Those were described to be 2xs the heat of Jalapeño and slight citrus flavor. Great in salsa and store bought pickles.

I turned many Lemon Drop peppers into dust at the end of last season to store. Those were described to be 2xs the heat of Jalapeño and slight citrus flavor. Great in salsa and store bought pickles.

Next year I will try a different pepper.I like how the Hab sauce taste
Richie

I saw you mentioned using coffee grounds . I did a test . I put grounds on half and left the rest alone . the ones with coffee grounds went crazy . Almost 5 foot tall and heavy yield . I just keep putting them in the smoker to dry out . Works great .

Reactions: dr k
Coffee grounds are high in nitrogen and drop the ph especially with potted plant soil that becomes alkaline with watering and nutrient uptake etc. There can be high nitrogen in soil but the lack of magnesium gets the plant stuck and there is no uptake of nitrogen and the leaves turn a pale yellowish green. So 1C epsom salt/gallon of water every month or every other month works great.

Coffee grounds are high in nitrogen and drop the ph especially with potted plant soil that becomes alkaline with watering and nutrient uptake etc. There can be high nitrogen in soil but the lack of magnesium gets the plant stuck and there is no uptake of nitrogen and the leaves turn a pale yellowish green. So 1C epsom salt/gallon of water every month or every other month works great.

I used both guess that helped my plants.Looks like the growing season is coming to an end,what to do with all them green peppers?
Richie

Nice guys! Season is coming to an end, but I'm starting seeds now.

Just going to invest time rotating them indoor and outdoor. I'll keep them in pots until spring.

But with it being southern California... it shouldn't be too bad

I got the same thing goin on . My coffee grounds plant still puttin out strong . I thought the rest were done . Cool weather has them all in flowers again . I'm just going to keep drying them out . The ones in the pic I posted are not smoked . The 30 is so seasoned they come out just right . Good color and a hint of smoke .

Got the peppers into the smoker on Sunday around noon time shut them off at 5:00 A.M. Monday
MES 40 was set at 155°F
100_7563.JPG
Will try to make dust out of them
100_7574.JPG
Richie

This is the fertilizer I used
100_7545.JPG

Reactions: pc farmer
Looks great Richie.

Wonder if I can grow peppers in my house through the winter?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky