Real onion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

patg

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
Chicago, Il
I see and my self have only used onion substitute on any smoking. Is there a reason that an actual onion is not used? Would it just sweat off instead of penetrate as the substitutes too inedible after smoking? Just a curios thought as I did my brisket this past weekend

There are a few guys that place onions in the water in the water pan. Quite a few even smoke onion to eat. I think one factor is cook time. ON longer cooks the onion itself may become inedible, do to over smoking. I use fresh garlic and onion in fatties, meatloaf, etc.

If I'm marinating prior to smoking/grilling, I always use fresh, grated onion, garlic etc...

In a rub, the fresh onion and garlic cook off to a burnt, bitter flavor. On a long smoke like you mentioned(brisket), the dried versions do not burn. They form a nice, flavorful bark when the fat from the meat renders and combines with the rub ingredients.

As to smoking onions, it's basically the same as doing it in the oven. A drizzle of evoo, salt and black pepper and pull when the edges becomes caramelized.

When I smoke almost anything I smoke it in a pan.

A lot of times I put coarse chopped onion, garlic, celery, & carrots in the pan with some broth with the meat.

Al

I figured there was method behind the madness, now I know the method. I figured pan smoking wouldn't be a problem.

It's like the meeting of the minds here I love it. Always in awe of the knowledge no matter how many years I've been a member

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky