Rare Earth Magnets to secure a tarp on your smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zippy12

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 6, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
I hate water getting into my smoker when it rains

I used these hook rare earth magnets to secure the tarp and hold tools.

20210519_171247.jpg

20210519_171544.jpg

20210519_171724.jpg

I’m going to get a square heavy nylon / pvc tarp custom cut about 6 inches wider than my doors and long enough to drape over both sides. I plan on putting pool cut noodles between the tarp and top of the smoker. I might just try the magnets to secure it to the shelves.

Reactions: zippy12
The magnet seem way more convenient than tying down or Bungee Cord. Thanks for posting...JJ

Never heard of these? Will they hold a hay tarp down in 50 mph winds?

The magnet seem way more convenient than tying down or Bungee Cord. Thanks for posting...JJ
We call it battening down the hatches with the massive tarp and bungee cords. It's a chore no doubt. Probably will continue to do so but might add the magnets, like the added potential protection.

Well, magnets won't stick to hay!
As far as winds go, the secret is to avoid a sail effect. So no area exposed where you have wind hitting one side and dead air on the other. Tying tarps around hay down low is the secret--nothing but hay on one side of the tarp, let the wind blow all it wants on the other.

So I'm a thinking a bit about winds with the right (big wheels) side of this smoker. Looks like wind could whip that loose side up from underneath. You could then develop a few 10's of pounds of wind loading on that tarp. If it takes two people to remove the magnets (through the thickness of the tarp) you're probably ok, at least for the lower ones. But that upper one on the round smoke stack is just attached with line contact only, so a lot of flux lines are fringing outside the iron. And even if the magnet can hold ~20# in that condition, not sure it won't rip through the tarp at that location?

But it doesn't look like a super-expensive tarp...so you might as well try the experiment. Or you may be in a location with plenty of wind blockage anyway.

BTW, that's a mighty nice smoker!

These magnets are crazy strong...

Farmer I think they will hold in a hurricane, but for regular weather these will do fine and keep water out of my cooker...

shipping box
20210519_170725.jpg

Z zippy12 Can you provide the Brand and part number if you still have the info? Ive been thinking up more uses since you posted.. Thanks...JJ

I looked at these, but I wanted more air flow (did not want to trap humidity), so I covered the entry points for water...

Well since I live in Florida, the humidity capitol of the US and never had a mold problem in the Lang. I wouldn’t worry about that.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky