Quick Sear Tuna Steak Salad w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Wife has been wanting me to do Ahi tuna for awhile now as its one of her favorites and every time I run by the store I always forget to look to see if they have any(usually too worried about other meat and beer haha). Well I picked up a nice 3 pack of fresh yellowfin tuna steaks yesterday for $10.

Here they are fresh out of the package.

fish1.jpg

Patted them dry then squeezed fresh lemon juice on them. Seasoning was simple. Fresh CBP, pink sea salt, and sesame seeds.

fish3.jpg

Had a couple small NY strips that I needed to cook too so why not.
Soaked in Yeungling and coated in montreal steak seasoning.

fish2.jpg

Got out one of my CI pans for a quick sear as we like these pretty rare.
Used the side burner on my gas grill.
fish4.jpg

After the flip.
fish5.jpg

And done. On the CI for all of about 2 minutes.

Got the steaks on with some butter in the pan.

fish6.jpg

After the flip.

fish7.jpg

Here is where it smelled so good I forgot to get better pictures.

Here are the steaks done but with no sliced shot.

fish8.jpg

Money shot on the tuna steak.

Fish9.jpg

And dinner is plated.
Fish10.jpg

Steaks got saved for a couple lunches but had great flavor. Love using the combo of Yeungling and MSS.

Man the flavor of the tuna was great. I would have preferred a little cayenne on them but they were still outstanding. Used a little bit of store bought greek feta vinaigrette dressing on the salad. This was quick, easy, and good. Prep was 5 minutes. Cook time was 2 minutes. Rest time was 5 minutes. Will be checking the store more often for tuna steaks! Thanks for looking.

John

That looks fantastic! The wife and I really like tuna steak. It's not real easy to find around here and when you do it's pretty pricey. Always looking for sales... Yours looks very nicely done! LIKE!

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Wife has been wanting me to do Ahi tuna for awhile now as its one of her favorites and every time I run by the store I always forget to look to see if they have any(usually too worried about other meat and beer haha). Well I picked up a nice 3 pack of fresh yellowfin tuna steaks yesterday for $10.

Here they are fresh out of the package.

View attachment 411391

Patted them dry then squeezed fresh lemon juice on them. Seasoning was simple. Fresh CBP, pink sea salt, and sesame seeds.

View attachment 411392

Had a couple small NY strips that I needed to cook too so why not.
Soaked in Yeungling and coated in montreal steak seasoning.

.View attachment 411393

Got out one of my CI pans for a quick sear as we like these pretty rare.
Used the side burner on my gas grill.
View attachment 411394

After the flip.
View attachment 411395

And done. On the CI for all of about 2 minutes.

Got the steaks on with some butter in the pan.

View attachment 411396

After the flip.

View attachment 411399

Here is where it smelled so good I forgot to get better pictures.

Here are the steaks done but with no sliced shot.

View attachment 411401

Money shot on the tuna steak.

View attachment 411402

And dinner is plated.
View attachment 411403

Steaks got saved for a couple lunches but had great flavor. Love using the combo of Yeungling and MSS.

Man the flavor of the tuna was great. I would have preferred a little cayenne on them but they were still outstanding. Used a little bit of store bought greek feta vinaigrette dressing on the salad. This was quick, easy, and good. Prep was 5 minutes. Cook time was 2 minutes. Rest time was 5 minutes. Will be checking the store more often for tuna steaks! Thanks for looking.

John
Beautiful presentation. I hope no hot butter fell on puppy dog! Hahahaha!

All looks great! Man we love seared rare tuna like that. I sometimes whip up a dipping sauce for it of either mayo, sesame oil and soy or mayo and wasabi.

Nice use of the Yeungling, John! Better use basting than drinking, lol.

Very nice tuna steaks! They look delicious, it’s been awhile since I did tuna steak.

Like!

Yum
We do tuna steaks every 2-3 weeks. I prefer it a little more cooked than rare.
I hope yours was PBF to kill the parasites.
I love rare steak.
Wife on the other hand is a grill it to kill it fan.

I freak'in love tuna steaks, we get them right of the boats here which is lucky for us.
But I'd give up tuna completely if we could get Yeunglinger out here.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

The only tuna I've every had was in a can, usually with a Bumble Bee label attached. Hopefully this winter I can change that. Your plate looks mighty good John.

Point for sure
Chris

That looks fantastic! The wife and I really like tuna steak. It's not real easy to find around here and when you do it's pretty pricey. Always looking for sales... Yours looks very nicely done! LIKE!

Thanks! I too am always looking for sales. These were pretty good priced 3 fresh good size steaks for under $10. If you guys have Kroger's there that's where I got these

All looks great! Man we love seared rare tuna like that. I sometimes whip up a dipping sauce for it of either mayo, sesame oil and soy or mayo and wasabi.

Thanks Jcam! The dipping sauce is a great idea! I wanted to make a soy ginger type dressing for the salad but ran out of time.

Reactions: jcam222
Nice use of the Yeungling, John! Better use basting than drinking, lol.

Very nice tuna steaks! They look delicious, it’s been awhile since I did tuna steak.

Like!

Thanks Joe. Yeah general rule of thumb is 1/2 a Yeungling for the steaks...6 for the cook haha.

Yum
We do tuna steaks every 2-3 weeks. I prefer it a little more cooked than rare.
I hope yours was PBF to kill the parasites.
I love rare steak.
Wife on the other hand is a grill it to kill it fan.

Thank you! I am the same way...luckily my wife is too. With beef the more red the better. She loves sushi too so almost rare tuna is right up her ally.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky