Quick question re: 3-2-1 ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Michael Cohen

Original poster
Sep 23, 2018
Thorndale, PA
Hi all,

I've been using the 3-2-1 method to cook ribs with excellent results. (Basically, smoke for 3 hours, wrap in foil with juice and slow cook for two hours, then unwrap and apply BBQ sauce and cook for another hour.) I normally only use apple juice during the second step, but it occurred to me that I have a lot of leftover liquid after letting the ribs marinate overnight. Could I use this liquid in place of the juice for the second step, or is that not a good idea? I have about a cup of liquid from marinating 4 racks.

I used a BBQ rub to marinate with lots of brown sugar, little bit of salt, and other savory spices. I was thinking I could mix in another cup of apple juice to thin it out a little, but I'm not sure since my family thinks they are already perfect the way they are.

Maybe I'll toss the liquid in the freezer and do a test run on another day, since I'm cooking for a dozen people today. Anyway, I'd be glad to know your thoughts on this as it seems like a waste to just toss it down the drain. It smells delicious... Thanks!

Attachments

• ribs1.jpg
    ribs1.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 11
I wouldn't personally because you're reintroducing raw blood/bacterias back into the meat. This liquid most likely surpasses the 160 temp while in the foil for the two hours, but it's just not worth the chance IMHO.

Reactions: Michael Cohen
bring it to a boil and then let cool. You will have killed out the bad stuff and it will be safe to use. I personally don't add liquid just spritz them down so they are moist and foil with honey and brown sugar. There will be plenty of fat that renders out to keep them moist.

I cant speak to the reintroduction of bacteria and potential safety issues.

I would say stick with what you know works given the current circumstance of cooking for 15 people. When I am cooking for others I don't like to change things up especially if I know I have something that is solid. When its just me and the family is when I will change things up to get their honest opinion on the change.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky