question on Pop's easy bacon process

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

simple

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 27, 2011
If a liquid other than water is used for the process, will it help flavor the bacon?  I've been using applewood, and I'm just not getting the flavor I was looking for.  I suppose it may be not enough time in the smoke, but I've been toying with replacing all or part of the water with apple juice, mainly because I have close to a gallon that no one will drink.  I thought the kid was taking it college with her and she didn't, so...

Doug, morning....  Not enough smoke on the bacon ???   Are you forming a really good pellicle ???  If you have a water pan in the smoker, remove it.....  I have smoked my bacon for up to 6 days @ 6 hours/day...  at 70 deg F...   Apple is fairly mild flavored wood..    If you eat the bacon right after smoking, you have a certain amount of immunity to the smoke flavor....  wait a week and try it...  the flavor may be there it's just that you couldn't taste it...   Adding apple juice to the brining solution may have an adverse effect on curing...  I can't remember right now....  Maybe someone will come along with the effects of acidity on curing....  

Maybe if you cure as normal, use a glaze of apple on the bacon toward the end of the smoke you will get the flavor you are looking for...  Simmer the juice into a thicker liquid for trying the glaze....  

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky