Bacon Up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Corporations would feed you nuclear waste, and create a marketing campaign that tells you that nuclear waste is good for you, if they could get away with it, and more importantly, if they could PROFIT from it.

I have always saved and used bacon fat, but I have always kept it in the fridge. When I saw this container of Bacon Up, I just HAD to try it.

It's pretty good!
Same way the cereal corps and the Govbent had the campaign that breakfast was the most important meal of the day...BS Now bacon instead of cereal, they may have something.

I think I may have to buy this, might split it among 3 mason jars and vac seal for long term storage.

Reactions: 912smoker
How did this whole forum miss this deal? a 9lb limited edition bucket of the at Bass Pro Shops???
1706198697437.png

Curious - has anyone used this stuff? I saw it on a shelf in HEB and I HAD to buy it!

View attachment 686567

When I was a kid I remember some family that kept a jar full of used bacon fat on the counter. This stuff says that it is "shelf stable" but I'm not willing to take a chance - it is in the fridge.

I cooked an egg with it this morning and it was pretty darned good!

For what it's worth, I have not tried it...

It's already happened... Taco Bell (a.k.a Toxic Hell) :P
Hahahahahaha
I totally agree with the Taco Bell statement. Had one in town for a few years. It folded as no one liked their food. Last year they built another one. I guess hoping a new generation will be more freindly to their (crap) food. So far it does not look very busy and the food is still crap.
We have a Mexican fast food called Taco Time. IMHO it is probably the best Mexican fast food ever. Love their crisp meat barritos with hot sauce.

Seasoned beef and jalapeno cheese sauce hand-rolled in a flour tortilla and then cooked to crispy perfection.
screenshot-www.tacotime.com-2024.01.25-15_05_42.png

Same way the cereal corps and the Govbent had the campaign that breakfast was the most important meal of the day...BS Now bacon instead of cereal, they may have something.

I think I may have to buy this, might split it among 3 mason jars and vac seal for long term storage.
No need for that Cliff. I'm sure the bucket has an o ring lid like hydronic fluid 😂

Keith

• Haha
Reactions: clifish and KBFlyer
I saw that in a store awhile back and was tempted to buy it. Now that I've heard from a good source. I'll get some the next time I see it.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Turn it around, I would like to see the nutritional value on the back!......

Nutrition Facts​

Serving size 1 tablespoon (13g)

Amount Per Serving
Calories130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14g22%
Saturated Fat 4.5g23%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 20mg7%
Sodium 0g0%
Total Carbohydrate 0g0%
Dietary Fiber 0g0%
Total Sugars 0g0%
Includes 0g Added Sugars0%
Protein 0g0%
Vitamin D 0mcg0%
Calcium 0mg0%
Iron 0mg0%
Potassium 0mg0%
* The Percent Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.

It says bacon makes everything better!

Ryan

It says bacon makes everything better!

Ryan

Nutrition Facts​

Serving size 1 tablespoon (13g)

Amount Per Serving
Calories130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14g22%
Saturated Fat 4.5g23%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 20mg7%
Sodium 0g0%
Total Carbohydrate 0g0%
Dietary Fiber 0g0%
Total Sugars 0g0%
Includes 0g Added Sugars0%
Protein 0g0%
Vitamin D 0mcg0%
Calcium 0mg0%
Iron 0mg0%
Potassium 0mg0%
* The Percent Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
f1xs6imwk4341.jpg

So how is there no sodium in this?

*Edit*
From Bacon Up's web site:
Although Bacon Up contains only two ingredients – bacon fat and BHA – we also list on our ingredient statement the list of ingredients that the bacon MAY have been cured in. Because our supplier prepares bacon with different cures for different bacon products, we list them ALL, just to be on the safe side.
Many people notice – and wonder why! – the Ingredient Statement says the bacon itself may have been cured with sea salt or brown sugar, for instance, and yet our FDA-approved Nutrition Facts panel indicates Bacon Up has Zero mg of Sodium and Zero g of Carbohydrates per serving. Note that only trace amounts of sodium, carbs, etc. cook out of the bacon and end up in the grease. In a one-tablespoon serving, it is less than the amount required to be reported.

Curious on the negligible levels of sodium and sugars.
Both salts and sugars are water soluble only. I can see the reasoning that rendering fat will not leach out water soluble components. However, commercial bacon is required to be injected with a water based solution of salt, sodium nitrite, and sodium erythorbate. Commercial bacon has a high water content from the injection process. The water release has to leach a significant amount of salts.
The bacon grease I collect has a noticeable amount of salt. That's why my wife uses it to fry eggs for the hint of salt. I usually poach eggs so no salt. We also us bacon grease to start the frying of my low sodium sausages. It gives the hint of salt along with the unami of bacon.

One smallish warning about consuming generic bacon grease..
It's better to buy the version/s that are made from organic pork as fat is where bad stuff eaten by the animal gets stored, so pesticides, insecticides, industrial chems, vaccines and any other nasty non natural stuff that the living animal was subjected to will accumulate in the fat.
Organic versions are are tested pure and the "natural" grown versions are said to have a lower quantity of bad juju as well.
You do pay more however.
Buying natural pork products and rendering the fat is probably the best plan, that way you get to eat better meat as well.

One smallish warning about consuming generic bacon grease..
It's better to buy the version/s that are made from organic pork as fat is where bad stuff eaten by the animal gets stored, so pesticides, insecticides, industrial chems, vaccines and any other nasty non natural stuff that the living animal was subjected to will accumulate in the fat.
Organic versions are are tested pure and the "natural" grown versions are said to have a lower quantity of bad juju as well.
You do pay more however.
Buying natural pork products and rendering the fat is probably the best plan, that way you get to eat better meat as well.
EVERYTHING we eat, unless you grow or raise it in your own backyard, has poison in it. And my experience with "businesses" is such that I do NOT believe that they adhere 100% to "organic" practices - they just say they do on the label, and charge you more.

Sure some hippies at the farmer's market grow organic, but they are too unreliable to shop at regularly, for me.

To me it's a game of minimizing potential negative consequences.
Is all organic food 1000% pure?
Well it can't be what with nano and micro plastics in the air we breathe and the water we drink, not to mention the fish and meat we consume, but if somebody is at least trying to produce cleaner food, they get my vote.
Besides it's not hard to imagine what all the factory farmed animals get exposed to.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky