Question from a newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin_glenn

Original poster
Jul 1, 2020
Does anyone use the snake method? What are the pros and cons? I have a WSM. Can you use lump or strictly briquettes?

I use the snake (well actually a Z--a couple of staggered half-height bricks) in my rectangular charcoal smoker. Keeps the temp from ever going past 250-275.

Reactions: Smokin_glenn
I have a friend who tried a snake burn in his 22 inch WSM. The smoker never got above about 150*
The WSM smokers are very controllable. Just go with the minion, or volcano starting method and you'll be fine.

I use the snake in my kettles very often and it works very well in that situation.

I made a 15" square x 7" high charcoal basket for my masterbuilt rectangular chest charcoal smoker. I've put in two half height bricks to form a charcoal snake (sideways-Z) like this:
__
| |__|

I use a small ring-element charcoal starter in the lower left corner to get it going then slide the basket in with the meat on upper racks. Lump charcoal lasts about 5 hours at 250F. That's with vents pretty well throttled closed. I don't always fill the Z basket to the top, but I've found if it's less than half filled, the fire doesn't always "turn the corner" well. (For smaller cuts of meat, I'll find I have 1/3 of the charcoal at the end of the Z left unburned. I put it in a steel can with tongs and use it next time--penny saved is...)

I suspend pellets and wood chips ~2" above the coals on steel mesh of ~1/4" grid to get a little extra smoke although adding some scattered pieces of good smoking wood chunks on top of the charcoal works similarly...it's just that I always have pellets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky