Question For Brisket Temp Probers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Displaced Texan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 11, 2020
Burr Ridge, IL
Hello everyone, as you can see I am trying to find out what the folks who like to probe their briskets think here. I have my probe in what I think is a very meaty part of the point. I put it in the pit about 30 minutes ago. IT was 39°. It is up to 54° already.

Is this normal to see that quick of a jump in temp, or do I just not have it probed correctly? I know it may be hard to tell, but here is a pic of the probe.

Edit: Forgot to add, pit is 260°-270°, so very even and not too hot.

Thanks!

IMG_8843.JPG

Hello everyone, as you can see I am trying to find out what the folks who like to probe their briskets think here. I have my probe in what I think is a very meaty part of the point. I put it in the pit about 30 minutes ago. IT was 39°. It is up to 54° already.

Is this normal to see that quick of a jump in temp, or do I just not have it probed correctly? I know it may be hard to tell, but here is a pic of the probe.

Edit: Forgot to add, pit is 260°-270°, so very even and not too hot.

Thanks!

View attachment 507455

That temp increase this early is pretty normal.
HOWEVER, I would definitely move the probe to the thickest yet center-most portion of the FLAT muscle. The point will lie to you because it's so fatty. It will also become tender and stay tender well before the FLAT is ready.

The FLAT muscle is the problem child here and the temp probe will back that up if you place the probe where I mention.
Also know that hitting that magic probe spot is a difficult task but it will give you better readings than anywhere in the point.

I have a whole write up here and you can see exactly what I mean since I show like 5 probes all with different readings aiming for that spot in the FLAT hahaha.

Enjoy!

>>>>Brisket Probe Thread Here:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...u-properly-placed-your-brisket-probes.294810/

Last edited:
Also, I do go more on tenderness at the end, I just find it interesting to monitor the IT and especially see when and what happens at the stall.

Last week's brisket was sort of all over the place like in that thread, but it probed like hot butter and was tender.

I cooked this one Monday. Probe on the left is in the flat and the right is in the point. I pulled when the flat was @ 200 and the point was @ 205. I probably should have waited on the flat probe to reach 203 since the point will tolerate a bit more heat with all that fat. Regardless it was a top shelf brisket so good luck and post some pics!

tempImageSfYNl0.png

tempImage5NftYZ.png

Killer smoke ring and just like that ....... it was gone......

Also, I do go more on tenderness at the end, I just find it interesting to monitor the IT and especially see when and what happens at the stall.

Last week's brisket was sort of all over the place like in that thread, but it probed like hot butter and was tender.
Tenderness is the key! The probe will just wake you up and let you know when to go check for tenderness hahaha.

Yeah probe placement is wild. I put 3 probes into a brisket and go off the lowest one to tell me when to probe. I find I usually get 1 out of 3 placed properly hahaha.

Another crazy thing is to monitor multiple probes in a brisket over a smoke.
If my HeaterMeater PID wifi was still working (wifi broke down) I could save the graph recording of the temps and man it's like a Nascar race. Probes start fast, others slow. The lead changes numerous times and in the end you see the lowest probe reading from 198-203F is usually the one that is placed the best according to the tenderness check.
It's crazy! hahah

Here is what's crazy, too. I just probed in multiple spots the flat and it was around 140°-160°. Well, that can't be right lol.

Here is what's crazy, too. I just probed in multiple spots the flat and it was around 140°-160°. Well, that can't be right lol.
Hahaha getting that probe placed is super tricky. You go a little deep and you get too close to the outside meat of the flat, same if you go to shallow. You go to far to the edge you get higher readings. That thickest center-most spot is some difficult placement for sure :D

I really feel this is like 90% of the reason people report so many brisket temps for tenderness. I think the range is really more 197-204F IT but due to placement difficulties people say 195-212F is the range.

Reactions: Displaced Texan
Oh another trick later on is when you get to about 190F you can use your meat probe to stab around the flat and find the area that has the most resistance and that usually reports lower temp. That's something you can try later if you like or as you start probing for tenderness. The most resistant part in the flat is usually the lowest reading... except for the crusty burnt up thin part at the end of the flat. That burnt up part is just hard from being burnt up and over cooked. That is why I trim it away and repurpose that thin flat meat before I even start cooking a brisket haha :D

First suggestion: since briskets come from different animals, don't smoke to temp. Use temp as a guide, not a destination. 200F in one animal will be perfect, in another, tough, dry, and undercooked.

Second suggestion: don't confuse probing for temperature with probing for tenderness. The first hooks up to a transmitter. The second is inserting anything sharp and pointy to tell the brain inserting it whether the meat is tender. They can be performed with the same probe. When the meat reaches the desired temp IN THE FLAT, pull out the temp probe and insert it in another part of the flat. If it fights you, keep smoking until it slides in with just a hint of resistance.

Third suggestion: ignore the thick point. It is full of fat and will absolutely lie to you that the brisket is done.

Lol, I think I will just give up on probing. Probed the flat in several area of the flat with my ThermaPro and it says the brisket ought ti be done after less than 3 hours.

Guess I'll just go by time and feel like I have always done.

ThermaPro

Are you talking about a "leave-in" digital remote therm or an "instant-read"?
Both have their purpose and best uses.

The "leave-in" remote therms will get you real close. But again as TallBM is pointing out is only a singular point and depends solely on the exact placement.
With an instant-read, you can really see the exact temperature gradient as you SLOWLY insert the probe in and then pull it back out.

Are you talking about a "leave-in" digital remote therm or an "instant-read"?
Both have their purpose and best uses.

The "leave-in" remote therms will get you real close. But again as TallBM is pointing out is only a singular point and depends solely on the exact placement.
With an instant-read, you can really see the exact temperature gradient as you SLOWLY insert the probe in and then pull it back out.
The ThermaPro is an instant read.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky