Question about smoking wings!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

timk617

Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Perry Hall, MD
Hey, I tried smoking wings with the recipe I got in the newsletter a while back. The internal temperature got up to 170, but when I ate the wings, the meat was still pink, and even more of a red in some parts.

Is the chicken still undercooked, or is it just colored like that?

Wing are a tough read. Too close or on the bone, you get inaccurate reading.  Pink meat on exterior meat is usually from Smoke but pink or red by the Bone is Raw...JJ

What I do with wings, is to smoke them for at least 2 hours, and then deep fry them to get a nice crispy skin on it.  Then I spin them in what ever sauce I am using.  Between the smoke and the oil the wings are sure to be done.  And you get a nice crispy wing, with that great smoke flavor to them. 

We do the wings like Big Sexy, except we put them on a hot grill for a couple of minutes to crisp them up, instead of frying them.

If you smoke them at 300-325 they will be done in about 1 1/2 hours and the skin will be crispy, no need to grill or fry them.

If you smoke them at 225 then they take 2 to 2 1/2 hours & need to crisp up on the grill.

The best way to tell if they're done is just grab one & take a bite. Probes don't work well because they are so small.

oh ok. Next time I smoke wings, I'll try grilling them after I'm done, I don't have anything to fry them in.

Thanks for all the input!

Hey, I tried smoking wings with the recipe I got in the newsletter a while back. The internal temperature got up to 170, but when I ate the wings, the meat was still pink, and even more of a red in some parts.

Is the chicken still undercooked, or is it just colored like that?
Ditto chef Jimmy

If your Internal Temp was 170°

I would say the meat is cooked and that the pink you see is a chemical reaction from smoking.

If the juices from the wings run clear you should be ok.

Last edited:
Don't be afraid to let the wings stay on a bit after 170, I have found wings to be pretty forgiving.

th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

we cant see what the wings look like inside......

Last edited:
I do them how Al does.  225 for 2 hours, then finished on the grill. 

I have found that Costco wings are a lot more forgiving if you don't brine them.  They have X% (not sure exactly) solution in them already.  Wings from a different store got a bit dry on me when I tried them.

I do mine at 250 for about 2.5 hours they are not crispy but if you season them up the night before and then do them they are good, not crisp but moist. If you decide to grill be careful as they usually have a lot of moisture left in them, a lot of it in the form of let's call it chicken juice, and when it hits the fire on the grill you have burnt wings, those are not good eats.

A better idea might be the broiler of your oven, that way the chicken juice doesn't come in contact with the flame.

im with and the grill crowd    smoke em for a while for the smoke then finish them on the hot grill for a crisp

but one impotent rule for wings,,,, smoke twice as many as you want to have and then you might have enough

Make sure and get fryer wings and not hen wings!!!  Smoked hen wings are like trying to eat a smoked tennis shoe..
chicken.gif

Here are some simple wings that I do. 

Rub:

Equal parts Kirkland Organic No Salt Seasoning and Trubinado Sugar

Kosher Salt, GBP, and cayenne to taste.

3d14a8bf_08-28-11048.jpg

d4822654_08-28-11049.jpg

One hour into a two hour smoke

0d88381a_08-28-11052.jpg

On the grill to get crispy

9e50e4d2_08-28-11053.jpg

Finished with Lowcountry Vinegar Based Sauce

b326e96d_08-28-11055.jpg

Can you taste 'em?

c68782a9_08-28-11057.jpg

Sorry for the gnarly chowed-on picture, but I'm getting pink in the wings too, so I thought I'd post for feedback. As purchased they were pre-cut and injected, and I cooked 8-lbs of them in a WSM at 225-250 for 2-1/2 hours without peeking!  I did not take any internal temps.

54a6f248_P1030135-640.jpg

--SiletzSpey

Like everyone else has said I throw mine on the grill for a while not really sure how long but if i had to guess i'd say 2 maybe 6 beers you know just enough to take the pink out of them
th_violent5.gif
chicken.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky