question about....hot dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Ok, so my son LOVES hot dogs more than anything. However, we only cook brats and hot dogs maybe once a week at most, and more realistically once every two weeks. So when I open a pack of hot dogs and only pull out 2 to cook up, the other ones sit in the fridge for weeks possibly. However the package always seems to state to use within 7 days of opening. Is this realistic? Aren't these things pumped full of salt? I feel like it's a huge waste if I have to chuck the rest of the hot dog package if I don't use them within a week....but it's also cumbersome to break out the food vacuum and just seal up two hot dogs at a time to stick in freezer. We used to be able to find individually wrapped hot dogs, but our store doesn't carry them anymore. Any thoughts on the matter? Thanks.

You don't need to vacuum seal them double wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze the in the quantity that you most often use them double wrapped they will freeze well for at least a year.

There's also a brand out there(sorry can't remember the name) that sells packages of 8 or 10 hot dogs split up into packages of 4 or 5. So you only really opening up half a pack at a time.

Chris

Reactions: forktender
Yes, Hot Dogs are loaded with Salt. The problem is there are lots of Bad Bacteria and Molds that are Salt Tolerant. These Spoilage Bacteria are what we are concerned about and cause the Hot Dogs to get Sour, Smelly and Slimy in more than a few days...JJ

Reactions: bgaviator
wow, thanks....I didn't realize this....I always figured hot dogs lasted a long long time, but i will start being more careful. I wish we could find the individual wrapped ones again, those were super convenient.

Packs of Frozen Hot Dogs separate easily if, gently, pried apart with a Butter Knife. My SIL and I like Natural Casing Dogs that come in 3 pound packs. The rest of my family prefer Skinless Hot Dogs. We store the 3 pounds, frozen, in a big Freezer Zip Bags and just pry off what is eaten at a meal. We eat the 3 pounds of Dogs, dinner or lunch, twice a month or so, before Frostbite takes a toll...JJ

I LOVE Hot Dogs! Especially the skin ones, Like Hofmann's and Glazier's! I am sure there are others also, and usually a 3 to 8 lb pack of them!

Unfortunately, I can no longer have them at all. They would be a treat at Christmas time (or any time!), along with https://croghanmeatmarket.com/ (a local favorite) and their cheese curds! (Again a big no-no!) Loaded with salt and nitrites, just can't have them (not even a slice of bologna!)

best advice is pick up a vacuum sealer. it will save you tins in the long run and likely pay for it self and give peace of mind. It jsut my wife and I and I love to cook and smoke. we jsut cant get through any kind of large cook in a week, and like your hot dog dilemma - I run into this with all kinds meat products where i dont need or want to cook the whole package, but freezing in a zip lock means i still am on a timer to cook them before they freezer burn and are wasted.

I have this one or one kinda like it. its been a workhorse for years.

Whatever hot dogs go uneaten here - skidmark will gladly take them off our hands.

Chris

Awesome comments made for you to save the dogs. We just put a couple at a time in zip lock sandwich bags and not for long term freezer storage.

Warren

There's also a brand out there(sorry can't remember the name) that sells packages of 8 or 10 hot dogs split up into packages of 4 or 5. So you only really opening up half a pack at a time.

Chris

Exactly!!
When we get Oscar Mayer All Beef, they come in 2 individual packages, with 4 dogs in each pack.
However When we get Dogs in 8 or 10 in a pack, we just make them all the first night, and then the next night we Nuke however many we're going to eat, and do that until they're all gone.
Takes 2 or 3 nights to finish them all, but we have no problem doing that.
You don't Buy a Steer, eat 2 steaks, and throw the rest away, either.

Bear

Reactions: zwiller
I have a foodsaver. But sealing up individual portions of hot dogs is a pain. I guess I could just freeze them all in one bag, and just take out what I need then reseal.

best advice is pick up a vacuum sealer. it will save you tins in the long run and likely pay for it self and give peace of mind. It jsut my wife and I and I love to cook and smoke. we jsut cant get through any kind of large cook in a week, and like your hot dog dilemma - I run into this with all kinds meat products where i dont need or want to cook the whole package, but freezing in a zip lock means i still am on a timer to cook them before they freezer burn and are wasted.

I have this one or one kinda like it. its been a workhorse for years.

You don't need to vacuum seal them double wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze the in the quantity that you most often use them double wrapped they will freeze well for at least a year.
This method has worked for us since about the invention of plastic wrap.
Now that we have a good vac sealer we put them in the bag in a single layer leaving an extra couple of inches of space at the top of the bag, seal and freeze. When needed we cut the top off the bag, remove one or two dogs and reseal the bag. Works till the bag reaches the point where the seal would be at the place where some hot dog "grease" is coating the inside of the bag.

Reactions: bgaviator
When we get Dogs in 8 or 10 in a pack, we just make them all the first night, and then the next night we Nuke however many we're going to eat, and do that until they're all gone.
Takes 2 or 3 nights to finish them all, but we have no problem doing that.
You don't Buy a Steer, eat 2 steaks, and throw the rest away, either.
Bear
THIS for us here too. When I grill I do 2 packs... They never last.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky