Question about brining time (NON-emergency)

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by teebob2000, Nov 24, 2011.

1. teebob2000

teebob2000 Meat Mopper

Hi all - I'm doing my turkey tomorrow (relatives today, but I'm DYING to smoke one!!  First-ever try, pix tomorrow).

Most of the brining instructions I've found say 1 hour per pound. I have a 14lb bird.

Due to our schedules, I either have to brine it this morning, or it will be late tonight by the time I get home and won't be able to brine it 14 hours; it'll be more like 10-11.  Can it get overly salty if I brined it 24 hours instead of 14?  Or will it be saturated at some point and not absorb too much seasoning?  Is 10-11 hours sufficient?  I can dependably keep it cold enough so safety's not an issue.

Thanks!!!

2. rowdyrawhide

rowdyrawhide Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

Mine came out of 36 hr brine this morning for 14 lb bird. If your worried about salty you could replace half the salt with a sugar of some sort. But I personally don't think it would be a problem, you could also rinse if you want as well, I don't but some do.

Hope this helps

Aaron

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Either way will work, personally I like a salty taste to my turkey.

4. teebob2000

teebob2000 Meat Mopper

I decided to go ahead and put it in the brine this morning using an awesome Food Network recipe that I used last year.  It's got 1# of kosher salt and then a whole messa' honey and molasses (and lots of herbs, etc) so I think it should be sweet enough.

Thanks, Aaron!

5. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

I don't ever brine a Chicken or Turkey less than 24 hours frequently 48....Salt is not the issue with long Brines, it's protein breakdown and Mushy Meat from brining too long...JJ

6. teebob2000

teebob2000 Meat Mopper

Thanks JJ!!! [​IMG]

7. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Mine just came out of a 48 hour brine