Pulled the trigger and picked up a Weber Smokey Mountain (18")

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
Good afternoon all. I just picked up a WSM 18". Woo-Hoo! I am already defrosting some gorgeous St Louis ribs that will be my very first cook on my new toy. I never cooked on a WSM before, but have been watching some videos to get some pointers on what to do. Any tips that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the weekend.

Thanks.

Here is the WSM 18" I picked up today. I got a great deal - $120 and the guy included some wood chips and a roll of sealer. :emoji_blush:

Attachments

• 20220812_151007.jpg
    20220812_151007.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220812_151025.jpg
    20220812_151025.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
If it new going to run hot until gets seasoned. If looks like heat climbing get ahead of it adjusting bottom vents. Mine is really efficient and will run 8 - 10 hours on 3/4 ring of charcoal. Several ways of firing it up. I get about 15 - 20 cubes going and throw on top of unlit. If you search WSM and titles there is a lot of info.

congrats on your new toy!! ribs should be good, but possibly just do some burgers or brats first just to get it seasoned up a little.

congrats on your new toy!! ribs should be good, but possibly just do some burgers or brats first just to get it seasoned up a little.
Good idea. I have some homemade burgers that i made from the remnants of the rib eyes that I trimmed a few weeks ago.

Daba,
I know we all say, "if you're looking, you ain't cooking" but one or two pics mid cook won't hurt one bit. Everyone would love to see that little puppy in action.

Stu

Reactions: sawhorseray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky