Pulled Pork Paloooza w/ Q-view

Discussion in 'Pork' started by adiochiro3, Jul 3, 2011.

1. adiochiro3

adiochiro3 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Found some bone-in pork shoulders on sale for .99/lb., so I grabbed 4 and smoked 2 yesterday!  (2 hit the freezer for an event to be named later!)  These were all about 6 pounders.  Rubbed with salt, pepper and brown sugar.  Into the smoker they went at about 9:40am with some hickory for smoke...

[​IMG]

Got a really nice stable temp going...

[​IMG]

Foiled at 165* (one hit IT at about 8:30 pm, the other around 9:30pm).  Oddly enough, they both hit the 195* mark at the same time, though -- around 11:30 pm.  Ya just never know. [​IMG]   That's why it's done when it's done.  A total of about 14 hours.  Here they are all wrapped up for a snooze:

[​IMG]

So now I have a decision: wait up for another hour to pull and then refrigerate, or get up really early to pull and refrigerate.  I decided to wait up.  These puppies fell apart perfectly, and the bones came out clean as a whistle.  Juicy and tender.  The aroma was driving the poor dog nuts even AFTER he got the bone out of the chuckie I finished smoking earlier in the evening!

[​IMG]

Here is one of them all ready to go!  I have TWO of these pans in my fridge!!!  Saved the drippings, too:

[​IMG]

I will skim the fat off tomorrow.  Couldn't resist a quick late night taste-test, don't ya know!!!

[​IMG]

Great color, fantastic flavor -- couldn't me much happier unless my family would let me add more heat to the rub!  As it stands, I have to add it as a condiment rather than an ingredient.  Oh, well.  I cook to please family and friends before myself.  Much of this batch is for dinner tomorrow evening with friends and family.  Then: FIREWORKS!!!!

Thanks for looking!  Have a happy 4th!!!  [​IMG]

2. James those butts turned out Fantastic...your going to be eating pulled pork this week around the house!! Thanks for the Q-View and have a great 4th.[​IMG]

3. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Yaaaaaaa!!  Looks delicious...From what I have read only 1 major stall so far today..

My 2 went like clock work too!!

Have a great weekend!!

Craig

4. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great smoke, great looking pork.

Good luck and good smoking.

5. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Can never have enough pork around. [​IMG]

6. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Awesome James, Looks Great...

7. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

The PP looks delicious James!