Pulled pork live without a net

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WillRunForQue

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 22, 2014
Central IL
Picked up my first boneless pork shoulder from GFS last weekend after realizing my pulled beef supply was empty.

I usually get butts from Sam's, this one had a much thicker fat cap than I'm used to. Is that normal for what GFS carries?

Rubbed down with mustard, coffee/brown sugar rub, and my basic bbq rub. It's waiting patiently in the fridge for the Spicewine to warm up. Shooting for 250 smoking temp, so I'm starting with my guru set to 275 knowing it will lose some when I throw a big hunk of pork butt in.

Gotta love using the weed burner to speed up the temperature climb! Yes, I'm definitely a Man Food Fire fan!

20180713_204034.jpg

20180713_203035.jpg

Sounds like a good prep and start.
Look forward to some good Qview tomorrow.

I'm just getting some venison roasts into brine for tomorrow's dinner.
That and whipped up a batch of tzatiki sauce for some Greek Lamb Burgers that are for tomorrow's lunch.

Slept in from my usual alarm, everything holding well. Butt is at 160 and time to put the marinated tri-tips on for some sliced beef sandwich meat.

Beautiful summer morning to be smoking! Transparent smoke right now (TTS?).

20180714_055233.jpg

20180714_055314.jpg

20180714_055646.jpg

Looking good!

But, looking at your pics just made me realize that in my haste and excitement getting my cook going last night, I forgot the drip pan under my butt. :( - Rookie mistake...

Sounds like a good prep and start.
Look forward to some good Qview tomorrow.

I'm just getting some venison roasts into brine for tomorrow's dinner.
That and whipped up a batch of tzatiki sauce for some Greek Lamb Burgers that are for tomorrow's lunch.

I've only done tzatziki once, and it was on a pulled lamb roast that didn't pull real well. I'll have to check out your burgers as another option, Chile.

Looking good!

But, looking at your pics just made me realize that in my haste and excitement getting my cook going last night, I forgot the drip pan under my butt. :( - Rookie mistake...

Yeah, I almost always cook in pans anymore, just so much easier to clean up and the racks keep the meat elevated for better smoke all around. And for the butt I'm going to want foiling juice later when pulling anyway.

Added some more charcoal and pecan chunks to the last part of my maze, may have to finish butt in the oven unless I reload, which is a bit of a pain. No big deal to bring it inside and crank up the heat.

All wrapped up with a bottle of apple juice at 183. On the home stretch after thunderstorms tried to throw a monkey wrench in. Thank goodness I was using the insulated vertical, got pretty wild for a while with wind, hard rain, and lightning!

20180714_091811.jpg

Thanks chop, butt is finishing in the oven, will be pulling later after resting a while.

Tri-tips all sliced up and ready to be vac sealed. Dang it's not easy slicing against the grain on a tritip boomerang! My oldest will be a happy camper for a few lunches at least!

20180714_112637.jpg

20180714_115405.jpg

After getting "pulled" away to other things (yuk yuk), finally finished the job. Big thumbs up from the family samplers of the bark and edge pieces (always the best!), but we'll have to wait until tomorrow for the PP sammies. Moist and tender and easily pulled!

20180714_193602.jpg

20180714_193928.jpg

20180714_200439.jpg

20180714_200818.jpg

Oh man, you're Qview is excellent, I love high quality pics.
Them Butts have a some nice bark/color.
Hanging around for their finish.
The tri-tip is great too, wanna adopt another son?

Ha, thanks Chile. I think 3 boys has me topped out right now, but I'll let ya know! Found out this morning that the oldest made a PP sandwich for a midnight snack, I thought the cook was supposed to have first dibs!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky