Pulled Pork Leftovers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jehoric

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
So clearly I've been away too long, the new layout looks good. I've been so broke (and out of freezer room :) ) that I haven't smoked any meat in a long time. My new roommate doesn't truly understand how delicious smoked meats can be, so I am planning on changing that tomorrow or Thursday with a pulled pork butt.

My problem is that I am usually cooking for a pretty small audience - myself, my roommate, and maybe a person or two. I normally buy a 12 pound shoulder (well, usually it is two pieces of meat) from Costco and cook it all at once, since it's the same amount of work for me. The big problem is that my pork leftovers (used almost entirely for sandwiches/Tortillas) don't usually emerge from the freezer all that delicious. Anyone have suggestions for how to maximize the quality of pork leftovers? I usually take a bag out of the freezer, drop it in the fridge, and then just cook the sandwich (microwave if I am lazy, this sandwich cooker I own if I am feeling a little less lazy). I figure there has to be a better way, because as delicious as the pork itself is fresh off the smoker, it needs BBQ sauce for flavor when it comes out of the fridge.

(Also, I tend to let the pork sit in the fridge for a day or two before I bag it and put it in the freezer. I suspect that could play a negative role, but I'm not 100% sure)

Thanks for any advice!

Make sure when you cook the pork in the smoker, that you save the drippings in the foil. Skim the fat off of the drippings and mix it in with the pork. That way when you freeze it it has all that extra flavor in with it.

For reheat - if you are using a vacuum sealer put the bag in a barely simmering pot of water till it is heated. If you are using ziploc bags, then thaw the pork in the fridge, and put it in a pot with a little bit of apple juice to reheat it.

Make sure when you cook the pork in the smoker, that you save the drippings in the foil. Skim the fat off of the drippings and mix it in with the pork. That way when you freeze it it has all that extra flavor in with it.

For reheat - if you are using a vacuum sealer put the bag in a barely simmering pot of water till it is heated. If you are using ziploc bags, then thaw the pork in the fridge, and put it in a pot with a little bit of apple juice to reheat it.
If for some reason you don't feel like you have enough liquid you can also add some apple juice and some captain morgan to help keep it moist

cool.gif

I always buy big butts and after I smoke it I freeze it in single serving sizes. The first thing that you need when you smoke meat is a food saver sysytem for all the leftovers. Then when you re-leftovers I use a pasta pot or a steamer to reheat the meat. To me I like to re-heat it in with steam for I think that it adds moisture and even intentsafies the smokey flavor too. Now go enjoy your food and the leftovers too.

Awesome, thanks for the advice everyone! I can't wait to try these techniques out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky