Pulled pork from boneless leg of pork?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mvmaha

Original poster
May 10, 2019
Hi everyone, First post here. Have played around with smoking meats,etc off and on for a number of years, but now am living in Mexico for work and can't always easily find the cuts I'm looking for. Tomorrow we're trying for pulled pork sandwiches, but I only found a whole boneless leg of pork - the huge 20+ lb chunk of meat in the photo.
So I thought I'd try maybe cutting it in to 2-3 chunks, rub like you would a Boston butt, smoke 7-8 hours at around 275 deg, wrap in foil and hopefully finish in a few more hours.
I'm no expert on pulled pork, and this isn't a Boston butt. Can anyone tell me if the finished product will be anything like what you'd expect from pulled pork, or will it be more like ham? Any suggestions from someone who's tried this? How long might it take to get to pulled pork stage?

IMG_20190510_163132758_HDR.jpg

Looks like a Whole Shoulder. The entire front leg, Butt making up the left side of the pic and the Picnic Shoulder to the right. That will take about 1.5 hours per pound at 250-275, maybe a little less. No reason you can't cut it into smaller portions to save time. It will make fantastic Pulled Pork...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
OK That's good news! Thanks for your response. The package only says "boneless leg" in Spanish so maybe I lucked out and it's the whole shoulder which would be great.
Only thing is I don't know that we'll have time to do it justice. I'll cut it up a little and keep the temp up. Does anyone wrap in foil the last few hours like brisket to speed up the process some?

Yes your bark will be a little soggy most will wait till around 160 or so. Once you have the color and the amount of smoke wrap in foil at this point heat is heat finish in smoker, oven,grill etc.

Ok thanks much. Good to know I have a couple possible cheats. Forgot about the oven finish. I like that option for tomorrow anyway. Maybe unwrap and crank it up for 30 min at the end to crisp a little. Will just have figure out my odd oven - no temps on the dial, just numbers 1 - 5 or so! Never use it. Maybe a manual lying around somewhere.

Pulled this from a forum on European Ovens. Maybe these apply to yours. Verify with your Thermometer...JJ

275°F = 140°C = gas mark 1
300°F = 150°C = gas mark 2
325°F = 165°C = gas mark 3
350°F = 180°C = gas mark 4
375°F = 190°C = gas mark 5
400°F = 200°C = gas mark 6
425°F = 220°C = gas mark 7
450°F = 230°C = gas mark 8
475°F = 240°C = gas mark 9

Lots of guys wrap butts around 160 with great results myself included sometimes. Should speed up your stall time. Regardless I’m sure it will be great. Just make sure you take it to at least 195-200 IMO and let it rest before you pull it. Good luck!

Thanks JJ for oven info. I'll see if it matches up.
SmokinVolfan. Thanks looks like we'll have some good eats tomorrow!

I know it sounds like an odd question, but any chance of getting a close-up of the label? I'm more interested in weight/price/price per lb. I'm a nerd. I like seeing the different prices of different things in different places :-)

No problem. Don't have a closeup but had the receipt lying around. 10.82 kg at 80.82 pesos/kg = 874.47 pesos total.
May not represent prices in the whole area because I bought it at a Sam's a couple hours from my house

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky