Pulled Pork for The Masters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sammartin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
Sanger, TX (North Texas)
A36E32BC-D3DA-4639-96AC-55C10ADC1C03.jpeg
I always like cooking for big sporting events and The Masters has been one of my favorites! My wife requested pulled pork since all I really like to do is beef, and to make my wife happy I gave it the thumbs up. So got it put on early this morning. Went the Aaron Franklin route and did a dry rub, black pepper, salt, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder with pork rubbed with olive oil. Hopefully it turns out good, have to say it’s been a while since I’ve pulled pork. Hope everybody has a great Sunday!
45B0D490-9C51-459B-B287-E43E7F57569A.jpeg

You seem experienced enough and your smoker looks well used. . . . I think you will do fine!

Go Patrick Reed! No affiliation here, he just hasn't won a jacket yet.

Guys from Texas know how to BBQ and golf. . . . So I think you both will do fine!

John

Last edited:
Reactions: sammartin
Looks like you have a good plan, let us know how it turns out.

Chris

Looks great. We are having pulled pork and burnt ends for our Masters party as well. Look forward to seeing the pics of your finished product!!!

I know what you mean, Sam---I prefer Beef too!

However your Pork Butt is looking real good already---Hang in there, Buddy!!:)

Bear

You seem experienced enough and your smoker looks well used. . . . I think you will do fine!

Go Patrick Reed! No affiliation here, he just hasn't won a jacket yet.

Guys from Texas know how to BBQ and golf. . . . So I think you both will do fine!

John

Looks Great!

See. . . . Told you both you Texans could handle the task at hand!

John

I have only gone the salt and pepper route with my briskets.
How did the pulled pork taste? More like a brisket flavor profile or like pulled pork?? Might try that one day

Since its been a year or so since i did my last pork butt, i dont really remember the flavor profile. I spritzed it with apple cider vinegar ever hour, then when the fat cap split (i go fat side up) i wrapped it and pour some A&W root beer in the foil. Its something i do alot with my briskets, just a family tradition really. When it was all done and rested, it had a great bark on it, very much like a brisket. The bone came out great it pulled apart very easily and stayed moist. I would say the flavor profile was similar to a brisket. Overall everybody in the family gave it 2 thumbs up. Again i rarely do pork so i apologize for the lack of traditional pulled pork flavor. But I will say i plan on doing this rub and cook again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky