Pulled Beef Sliders on the WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

normonster

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 15, 2017
deleted

Attachments

• 2 WSM Smoking.JPG
    2 WSM Smoking.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 495
  • 1 WSM Set.JPG
    1 WSM Set.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 497
  • 3 Chuck 1.JPG
    3 Chuck 1.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 496
  • 4 Chuck 2.JPG
    4 Chuck 2.JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 493
  • 5 Chuck Pulled.JPG
    5 Chuck Pulled.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 491
  • 6 Hawaiian Buns and Sauce 1.JPG
    6 Hawaiian Buns and Sauce 1.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 490
  • 7 Hawaiian Buns and Sauce 2.JPG
    7 Hawaiian Buns and Sauce 2.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 490
  • 8 Closeup.JPG
    8 Closeup.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
I agree on the smoke & SV for just about any cut of meat, but I gotta say that chuck roast looks amazing!
You don't get that bark with Smoke/SV, but I agree it does produce a more tender juicy piece of meat!
And congrats on getting a spin on the carousel!
Al

I'll take 15 to go. Them looked great. The chuck roasts look liked they darkened up some to have some bark on them. Still looking good regardless.

Man they look good. I need to make a chuck roast now. I dont have a SV unit.

Thank you SmokinAl SmokinAl !

Thank you ab canuck ab canuck for the like!

Thanks weev weev . Good Times.

Thank you Geebs Geebs .

lovethemeats lovethemeats - Yeah, bark was the goal this time around for me.

Thank you pc farmer pc farmer . These were great with no SV, but what I didn't show is that I wrapped them for 2 hours during the smoke. The Texas crutch is a wonderful thing.

Haha Rings Я Us Rings Я Us do you have their number? I'm waiting for a breakout business idea..haha..

one eyed jack one eyed jack Thank you. Yeah, brisket and ribs on top with a pork shoulder underneath! I'm trying to maximize my charcoal usage these days.

Cheers!!!!

Reactions: Rings Я Us
That's a Fine Looking Chuck, Norm!!
And a nice Platoon of Tasty Looking Little Sammies!!:)
Like.

Bear

Hello Meat Smokers!

Last weekend I put together a few experiments but I also wanted to eat so I set up for some pulled beef sliders.

I got the WSM rolling smoke first, and then I placed the pre-subbed meat on the top grate:

View attachment 362344

View attachment 362343

My last several pulled beef chucks were first Sous Vide, so this time I decided to go all smoke.

I started with a nice choice Chuck Roast that I decided not to tie up this time.

Here it is nearing about 195 IT:

View attachment 362347

And here we are ready to pull it (after a rest)...IT 205 and it is probe tender:

View attachment 362348

It pulled apart perfectly:

View attachment 362349

I made some Fire & Fury BBQ sauce last week that went really well with this oak smoked Chuck Roast. Here is the finished product just before being ingested:

View attachment 362350

View attachment 362351

At the end of the day this was really good, but my Sonoma Style SV-Smoker method is still king for me. Just as much smoke flavor but a little more juicy and tender.

View attachment 362352

Cheers!! Thank you for looking!
Hello Meat Smokers!

Last weekend I put together a few experiments but I also wanted to eat so I set up for some pulled beef sliders.

I got the WSM rolling smoke first, and then I placed the pre-subbed meat on the top grate:

View attachment 362344

View attachment 362343

My last several pulled beef chucks were first Sous Vide, so this time I decided to go all smoke.

I started with a nice choice Chuck Roast that I decided not to tie up this time.

Here it is nearing about 195 IT:

View attachment 362347

And here we are ready to pull it (after a rest)...IT 205 and it is probe tender:

View attachment 362348

It pulled apart perfectly:

View attachment 362349

I made some Fire & Fury BBQ sauce last week that went really well with this oak smoked Chuck Roast. Here is the finished product just before being ingested:

View attachment 362350

View attachment 362351

At the end of the day this was really good, but my Sonoma Style SV-Smoker method is still king for me. Just as much smoke flavor but a little more juicy and tender.

View attachment 362352

Cheers!! Thank you for looking!
First, those sliders look amazing. I've smoked a couple of chuckys in my electric smoker but neither one turned out as well as yours. Next, a couple of questions. What is the Sonoma Style SV-Smoker method? I lived in Sonoma County for 22 years and never heard of it. I get that the SV is sous vide. And is Fire & Fury your own BBQ recipe? I got a kick out of its name. Lastly, why do you usually tie up chuck roast? I see that direction often in beef and pork roast recipes but have never understood how tying up a roast makes it cook more evenly.

Yeah ghoster ghoster if you haven't done a chucky yet you should. From this point forward it is my beef of choice of the smoker, at least when it is on sale. Very similar to pulled pork.

Bearcarver Bearcarver a compliment from you is like two points. Thank you Sir!

daricksta daricksta The Sonoma Style Smoke is just SV to Smoker in that order, as opposed to Smoker to SV. There is some debate on which sequence is best, mine being the underdog apparently. See this thread for a Sonoma Style SV-Smoke:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pulled-chuck-sous-vide-smoke.273347/#post-1805542 The techinique yields a piece of meat that is fork-tender, moist, easily pullable and in my opinion as smokey as you could ever want it, plus you get bark that is not softened by the SV).

Fire & Fury is my own recipe, yes. I have found that sauce making for me is really a fun thing to do. I make beer and it takes all day, then 2 weeks to ferment, then another month to age, but sauce can be made good in 1 day and stellar in 1 week. I friggin love the stuff. I must have at least 5 recipes that I consider keepers, one or two of which I consider untouchable by any commercial bbq sauce. They're my signature when I have company.

As far as binding the roast before cooking I personally do it to keep it in one piece (especially for the SS SVS method where you'll be transfering what is essentially a cooked roast onto a grate).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Yeah ghoster ghoster if you haven't done a chucky yet you should. From this point forward it is my beef of choice of the smoker, at least when it is on sale. Very similar to pulled pork.

Bearcarver Bearcarver a compliment from you is like two points. Thank you Sir!

daricksta daricksta The Sonoma Style Smoke is just SV to Smoker in that order, as opposed to Smoker to SV. There is some debate on which sequence is best, mine being the underdog apparently. See this thread for a Sonoma Style SV-Smoke:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pulled-chuck-sous-vide-smoke.273347/#post-1805542 The techinique yields a piece of meat that is fork-tender, moist, easily pullable and in my opinion as smokey as you could ever want it, plus you get bark that is not softened by the SV).

As far as binding the roast before cooking I personally do it to keep it in one piece (especially for the SS SVS method where you'll be transfering what is essentially a cooked roast onto a grate).

Cheers!
My wife and I have seen a lot of sous vide cooking on TV but we just don't want to spend the money on one, even at a Costco price. But your photos clearly show the merits of your method. And if I had decided to go with a charcoal smoker, I would've chosen a WSM, too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky