• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Puget Sound birch and maple, good for indirect smoking?

frogbbq

Joined Feb 28, 2013
Hi,

I've done some research and they say maple and birch a good for smoking with light to moderate flavor and good btu. To your knowledge does this include species of the puget sound? I've used alder recently and it burns quite a bit faster than fruit wood I'm used to.

Has any one had success and experience with these two woods? The reason I'm considering the change is purely based on cost and accessibility. 

cheers

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 23, 2011
Copied this from another website:

"Birch is a medium hardwood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry."

That said, I don't recall ever seeing either species around here. Not naturally wild, anyway. There is a common tree that looks like birch, but I think it is a species of alder.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.