Prepping My Brioster for Father's Day BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
Hey guys.

I started prepping my brisket this afternoon for my Father's Day BBQ on Saturday. I picked this up on Wild Fork. It weighed in at 16 1/2 pounds. It took about 20 minutes to trim. I have a nice amount of beef fat that I will render down in a pan during my cook.

I'm planning on a very low and slow cook - place brisket in the smoker on Friday night around 7 pm, 200 degrees using Bear Mountain hickory pellets - I'll leave it alone until the next morning around 7-8 am. I'll pour some of that tallow on it and then wrap for about 5-6 hours. I am planning on removing it around noon and then let it rest in my cooler for about 5-6 hours.

I'll update throughout my cook.

Peace

Attachments

• Brisket3June2022.jpg
    Brisket3June2022.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Brisket2June2022.jpg
    Brisket2June2022.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 14
  • BrisketJune2022.jpg
    BrisketJune2022.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 12
  • TarrowJune2022.jpg
    TarrowJune2022.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 15
You got that right. But then again, would you trust your wife/gf/significant other - to touch your rig?

I wouldn't.

U got that right. My family and I went to Lake George last year and I was hunting around for a BBQ joint. I found one about 30 minutes from our hotel. We got there around 5:30 pm and they were almost out of food for the day. Luckily, we were able to get some ribs, pulled pork, and a few slices of brisket. My kids turned to me and said "Daddy, your cooking is better than this stuff." The food wasn't bad, but it was greasy and didn't do much for me. Like you, I bet if folks like us opened up a bbq joint up there, this place would be out of business within one year.

I don’t even trust our local BBQ joint to cook as well as me, and the check is 3Xs as small, and the drinks are “free.”
Wife and I went to a local brew pub (Brickhouse Daba's BBQ Daba's BBQ ) for lunch the bill for the 2 of us was almost $130....of course IPA's and her martinis where almost as much as the food bill. We then went on to 2 other breweries in the same town....eating out has really become expensive especially as mentioned we can make better meals at home.

We love our local mexican food place, food is always good and great service! But the $ 10 medium margaritas add up! Good thing we don't get the large ones. Food price is good though, last time we ordered food to go it was $28 an we got 5 meals out of it. My son ate all his and my wife and I always eat half and save the other half for another meal.
Looking forward to your brisket cook!
This year will be nice...our daughter was born June 19th, 30 years ago this Father's day. Doesn't always fall on the same day. So a happy early father's day to you!

Ryan

We love our local mexican food place, food is always good and great service! But the $ 10 medium margaritas add up! Good thing we don't get the large ones. Food price is good though, last time we ordered food to go it was $28 an we got 5 meals out of it. My son ate all his and my wife and I always eat half and save the other half for another meal.
Looking forward to your brisket cook!
This year will be nice...our daughter was born June 19th, 30 years ago this Father's day. Doesn't always fall on the same day. So a happy early father's day to you!

Ryan
And you to as well. And happy birthday to your daughter!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
The brisket went on at 10:45 pm and checked it at 10:45 am today. Temp was spot on at 163 (first pic). I left it on for an additional 2 hours and checked the temp. It nailed it at 171. I removed it (second pic), drizzled some tallow and wrapped it, and placed it back on the smoker. It has now been on for 1 3/4 hours. The point is at 201 and the flat is around 195

Attachments

• 20220618_074957.jpg
    20220618_074957.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220618_105118.jpg
    20220618_105118.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 10
Happy Father's Day to all of the dads out there.

The brisket came out absolutely amazing!

I took it off the smoker at around 2 pm and let it rest until 6:30 pm.

I want to thank everyone for their advice and help. This is the reason I joined this forum.

Have a great day everyone!

Peace

Attachments

• 20220618_185203.jpg
    20220618_185203.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220618_185049.jpg
    20220618_185049.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky