PP and Ribs for the beach!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vternie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 2, 2016
Lynchburg, VA
Second Q-view for me. First one was a hit and this time I'm stepping my game up!!

My mother-in-law (and father-in-law and sister-in-law and wife, not in that order) suggested I make some PP for our beach trip down to the Outer Banks. Challenge: accepted! I decided this time fo crank it up and do TWO butts, totally close to 17 pounds! I'm also doing the some ribs, based on the PERFECT RIBS recipe located here:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/240916/perfect-ribs-every-time-this-really-works

Doing a very similar set up for the PP as last time. I did the Chris Lilly rub and injection recipe last time and I put my own personal spin on it this time. For the rub, I used a lot of the same ingredients just at a different rate/measures. My wife hates me but I'm pretty good at using "a pinch" or "a dab" of things and making it perfect. I used a good amount of white and brown sugar then some paprika, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. I can smell the sweet and heat in the container!! For the injection, I used apple juice, the great Captain Morgan, worcestershire sauce, Apple cider vinegar, kosher salt and a few sprinkles of my rub. The sauce is a first for me. I threw together some ketchup, a bit of mustard, worcestershire sauce, some of my rub, a little chili powder, apple juice and apple cider vinegar. Has a tangy taste with a bite on the back end.

Reactions: disco
Butts are rubbed and ready to go! While my wood chips soak, I let them rest in the fridge before they go in the smoker. I also poured about a shot's worth of CM on the butts when I was done rubbing them down. I've got some guards in the kitchen so no one sees the recipe!!

And we're in action!! Butts went in around 8:20. Looking for about a 10 hour cook (with the ribs) at 225 degrees. My neighbor has his fired up today too so the neighborhood will have a great smell all day long!!

I'll bet no food gets by them guards.
I'm in, looks good so far.
Why do you soak your chips?
Have fun.

Ed

I do it so the chips will last longer. I use Western brand wood chips (found at your local Walmart) and they are thin at times. Problem today is that they didn't have any Apple ones so I'm on wood chunks once I'm done with the chips. I usually soak for 30 mins before I put them in the smoker

3 hour update: Wood chunks are different than wood chips! They're burning but it's different to maintain the smoke in the box! Since the wood is burning at a different rate, the temperature is tough to maintain too. I'll post a picture soon

Are your chunks, 2"-3" pieces? If so they'll smolder, which is what they should do and the smoke will be very thin and blue, at times invisible to the eye. That's what you want and what you should use in the future.

I have to question your time estimate for your cook. At 225 a 8.5 pound butt would take at least 2 hours per pound to get to an internal temp of 200-205. That would be at least 16 hours. Are you sure your pit therm is accurate?

Are your chunks, 2"-3" pieces? If so they'll smolder, which is what they should do and the smoke will be very thin and blue, at times invisible to the eye. That's what you want and what you should use in the future.

I have to question your time estimate for your cook. At 225 a 8.5 pound butt would take at least 2 hours per pound to get to an internal temp of 200-205. That would be at least 16 hours. Are you sure your pit therm is accurate?

I can see some smoke and it is very thin. My trays are blocking the some of the heat to the thermometer in the pit. I have mastered the time and temp with this smoker to know when it is good.

I'm grabbing the smaller chunks to start and its creating a nice, hot flame under the water pan. At one point my propane tank closed (randomly) while I was cooking.

Here are my butts, 3 hours in

Looks real good so far!!

Al

Al!! I'm glad you commented! I'm putting a personal twist on your rib recipe! Here's what I did. I cut my rib rack in half to do 2 different types of ribs. One spicy and one tangy. I coated it with mustard and put my rub on each one. One, I put a rub that my father-in-law Don gave me from a farmers market near where he works. The other I used another rub Don gave me from Seattle, combined with some basic rub. The Seattle rub has some heat to it, hence why I countered it. The mixture, when they hit, smelled great!! They'll sit in trays for a few hours to rest before they hit the smoker.

I can see some smoke and it is very thin. My trays are blocking the some of the heat to the thermometer in the pit. I have mastered the time and temp with this smoker to know when it is good.

I'm grabbing the smaller chunks to start and its creating a nice, hot flame under the water pan. At one point my propane tank closed (randomly) while I was cooking.

Here are my butts, 3 hours in

Is there a reason you keep the butts in a tin pan while smoking?

Is there a reason you keep the butts in a tin pan while smoking?

It saves the juices and let's the butt cook in its own juice. Once it's done, I take the butt out, shred it, and pour the juices back in. Makes for very moist PP

2:30 update: Ribs just went in the smoker. Smoker is sitting around 225 right now. Butts have a nice bark to them (picture on the next update). Spraying every hour with apple juice and CM. Cant wait for the final results!!

It saves the juices and let's the butt cook in its own juice. Once it's done, I take the butt out, shred it, and pour the juices back in. Makes for very moist PP

Hmm, maybe I'll try that sometime. I like bark a lot, I'm not sure id want to sacrifice that, looking good though!

Hmm, maybe I'll try that sometime. I like bark a lot, I'm not sure id want to sacrifice that, looking good though!

I'll say this: I cook EVERYTHING in trays now. It's easy transport and the juice is everything. I've smoked a butt before, foiled the tray, wrapped in towels and transported to a dinner. Very convenient and you just toss the tray in the trays when you're done!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky