Poultry Yield... Raw weight vs. eatable finished product

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke_chef

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 22, 2008
Marble Falls, AR
Hello all,

Just want to bounce something off this group. I understand beef and pork to have about a 50% yield. I've used that number many times and it seems to be close every time. However, I've never weighed my birds post smoke so I don't know this to be true but I googled poultry yield and the common answer was 66%. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Smoke_Chef

Interesting question. I usually deal with poultry by "the piece" whether bone-in or boneless. With all the bones out and fat rendered I wouldn't second guess the 2/3 loss or "shrinkage".

Yes, if I remember correctly that is about what the yield would be.  

We would have to do 'cutting tests' on everything... I MEAN EVERYTHING   Start out with the whole product; if in a bag, record the difference in bag wt and net wt, the balance being purge.  Process the piece, cutting, boning, slicing, separating, etc. to finished cuts.  Weigh each cut or qty and compute the percentage of the cut to the whole.  You would have x lbs/oz of skin, of bone, of fat, of breast meat, of drumstick meat, of thigh meat, of neck, etc., total up the weights, subtract from the original whole weight, difference is the cutting loss (juices, etc. left on the table, bis and pieces being dropped on the floor, etc.).

Take each weight and convert to ounces.  Take total net weight and convert to ounces.  Divide each portion weight by it's whole to get the % of yield of each, all parts and pieces totalling to 100%.  Then you can figure the % of total waste to meat, etc.

You compile your cutting tests and average them out on like tests, so if you have 27 tests done on a certain way of cutting an animal the same exact way each time, you can come up with Average Mean %/Total and hold that as a given factor.  Now, if the bird costs you $A, and you sell it whole for $B, you realize a certain % of profit.  But, if you cut it up what price do you have to get on each part and piece to realize the same or higher profit?  Just plug numbers in, multiply out by ave. weights and get a pricing profile.  Because, based on your cutting tests, a whole case of birds (ave. 27/cs) will yield you x amt of lbs. of breast meat, thigh meat, and so on and you can set different pricing profiles and compute your overall gross profit yield for the case.  

Meatcutting and Math go hand in hand!

People here should show this Thread to their kids when they ask, "Why do I have to learn Algebra? In real life there are no A, B, X or Y's, just 1,2,3..."...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky